lgreen

lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish

how can you ever be an expert without starting off somewhere?

some seahorses are much easier than others. You just need a seahorse specific tank.

Sorry, Expert Only is kind of an old school term used for fish that can be pretty difficult to keep. Didn't really think about it when I typed that, but yeah, I guess it sort of implies something different.

Changed [Expert Only] to [with caution, not for beginners]

I really have no plans to write the seahorse section anytime soon. Just started a new semester at school, so I will be swamped for the next 12 weeks.

If someone else wants to take a stab at it, go for it. Otherwise I'll get to it later.

Sorry, Expert Only is kind of an old school term used for fish that can be pretty difficult to keep. Didn't really think about it when I typed that, but yeah, I guess it sort of implies something different.

Changed [Expert Only] to [with caution, not for beginners]

I really have no plans to write the seahorse section anytime soon. Just started a new semester at school, so I will be swamped for the next 12 weeks.

If someone else wants to take a stab at it, go for it. Otherwise I'll get to it later.

I totally understand. That is a good comment that you have on them now.

I will take on the job of seahorses unless someone else wants to chime in?

how can you ever be an expert without starting off somewhere?

some seahorses are much easier than others. You just need a seahorse specific tank.

Yeah, they kind of get attacked and stung a lot. That site is very cool though. They sell "seahorse friendly clownfish". I didn't know there were that many types of seahorses: Mustangs, Pintos (copy from real horse breeds), Pixies.... Edited by fish n' pets

Ya he is in a pit of homework now all of them Tigah, Igreen, Koden

They will up date this later but this is the best way to add to/ revise your work he might beable to get this published in a book or something not word for word just the idea. There arent any "NANO" books are there out there I think some one should make a NANO Fish and Inverabrites reffrence book along with filtration methods and all the other jazz.

ack, sorry, totally lost touch with the seahorse part of things. i will be writing it up soon, or if someone wants to take over, that'd be great.

Thank you for this topic, it helped me decide the fishy I will go with when my tank is ready in a few months :).

i just wanted to tag onto this thread

very informative

keep up the information

Very informative and a good read... one thing though... what would a 15g come under (24x12x15)?

Keep up the good work

Probably more around the 10g range.

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks man, just couldn't decide wether it would be 10g or 20g, thanks for clearing that up =D

When in doubt, always be conservative in this hobby. You get in a lot less trouble that way.

lgreen, i think the flame angel and at least the coral beauty should be moved up to a minimum of 25-30g. after much reading on centropyges; since im not sure my 20h is enough for even a cherub; i have learned that other angels should have even more room.

travis

This is a great reference! I appreciate all your hard work. Last time I was at the Aquarium, I think I remember some various species of Filefish in a reef display. They weren't mentioned at all in your guide. I'm just starting out, so I don't even know if they are very common in the hobby. But maybe someone else knows if they are available for purchase, or if any are suitable for a nano?

SanDiegoIllini,

Thanks for the comments.

You bring up a good point.

Most filefish get to big for a nano (anywhere from 7-14 inches). Also many filefish are rather difficult to feed.

The Saddle Filefish may be a suitible choice for a nano and there is one other one that I can't remember the name of that might work. I'll look into it when I have some more time or if someone else wants to...great.

Also I haven't forgot about the comments posted above and the PMs some of you have sent. I will do an update when school out.

BUMP

expert only, but doable in a small tank. no tankmates except for very small hermits and snails.

Can't seahorses be kept with pipefish? I may be wrong, though...

BUMP

Can't seahorses be kept with pipefish?

Yes

sorry guys I never got back to you on the Seahorses. I just took my LSAT yesterday and before that I was doing nothing but studying =/

is it still needed?

lgreen thanks for the awesome thread, this was a lot of work for sure and is helpful to me to begin stocking my 10g!

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions