Cultivated Reef

True 2.5g DIY acrylic tank

Daemonfly

• 1 month later...

Been planning on a new FTS shot, but have been having problems with the digital cam :(

It's pretty much the same as it was, aside from general coral growth.

• 2 months later...

OMG! Finally, a current FTS!! :o

Click for big pic.

fts5-27-06-t.jpg

Upper right corner is a diy frag rack I just made to hold some recovering baby Blasto Merlettis as well as a tiny tempermental pom-pom xenia frag (the only thing not doing well in this tank :()

You love that red macro algae in the left rear corner, don't ya? ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes, built it entirely from scratch. It was my first major acrylic project, and it came out very well, imho. The rear external overflow box wall does bend out though. I should have made this out of 1/4" or just braced it like the 1/8" used for the main tank walls.

The loc-line pieces I used had a rigid output which I was worried about in the beginning (less adjustability), and currently I play to replace it. I ordered some loc-line Ts so that I can pop on regular loc-line nozzles for a lot more adjustability. These will extend a tad bit further into the tank, but I don't mind.

This tank has always done much better than any other tank I've had, and I believe the higher & better water flow greatly contributes to this. The good amount of lighting can't hurt either ;)

The tank is still set up, but I can't get FTS shots right now due to where it's setup & how it's positioned (temporary placement). Much is the same, except everything is just bigger :) The candy-cane is currently at about 30+ heads.

I'm in the process of planning a 50g(36") tank & will probably still leave this 2.5g up, although I'll probably reduce the fuge size down to a standard 2.5g or 5.5g (currently has a 10g sump/fuge).

avalanche1201

hey Daemon, Im designing a fuge right now w/ a spray bar and I was wondering how you have your spray set up? I noticed it runs along the top of the tank and im assuming it sprays all along the tank.

What helps hold it up like that and what kinda GPH do you have going

Zip ties through small holes in the euro brace. Pump is a Mag Drive 1.9 (190gph). 2' of head + resistance from manifold = I have no idea ;)

If you have the room, and can afford it, I recommend adjustable loc-line nozzles instead of a set-position spray bar. The 1/4" loc-line Ts should be in this week, so I'll be modifying the manifold with those, and may just up the pump size due to the lower velocity per output of the larger 1/4" opening vs the current 1/16" or so nozzle.

Thats the great thing about the manifold designs - you can have tons of good flow that the corals love, yet it's all distributed well around the tank so it's not overpowering on any one spot.

avalanche1201

zip ties :( my whole tank is glass and theres no rim or anything..so Im gonna have to figure out a way to hold it up

Perhaps make small brackets with acrylic, either to hang on the side or to use good suction cups.

I've seen some plastic S-hooks around that might work too, but I don't know where I've seen them.

I'll get some new pics after I modify the plumbing. Got the loc-line Ts in yesterday. Hopefully it works out well. Manifolds are supposed to have larger dia tubing with smaller output nozzles to help with pressure equalization between all the outputs. This will be entirely 1/4" loc-line, so I'll most likely see different output from the various nozzle positions.

Well, Got the new loc-line all installed, and went to turn the tank 90deg (only half full) and the front left seam separated slightly, enough for water to flow out. Broke the tank down & moved the corals into my 20g frag tank.

Kinda ###ed, but kinda not, as there were things I wanted to do to improve this tank. I just didn't plan on it being done this early ;) I may just do the 5.5g standard with better full surround manifold & 70w mh instead that I was planning on.

If I were to do this tank over again, I'd make it all out of 1/4" cast acrylic, and use a 1/2" bulkhead in the bottom of the rear overflow instead of the ghetto pvc one. Just to note, the new loc-line setup did work a lot better than the previous one. I was able to increase the total flow without it being too strong for any one coral.

Archived