Innovative Marine Aquariums

1" crab - reef safe?

StanD

Found this guy tonight inside of a zoanthid rock. The crab is about 1" across and was hiding in a large rock. This explains why a lot of my corals have been knocked over.....

I was able to get it into a floating plastic breeder container. Can anyone ID it? Is it reef safe?

Thx.

post-15639-1134113025_thumb.jpg

post-15639-1134113033_thumb.jpg

Tee-hee. An evil red-eyed crab. Will eat anything, including sleeping fish, coral, etc.

I just caught one in my reef today, mean a** crab

List of victims:

4 Mexican Turbo Snails

2 Astria Snails

3 Nassirius Snails

2 Sand Sifting Sea Star Legs

5 Hermit Crabs

1 False Percula Clown Fish :bling:

I just caught one in my reef today, mean a** crab

List of victims:

4 Mexican Turbo Snails

2 Astria Snails

3 Nassirius Snails

2 Sand Sifting Sea Star Legs

5 Hermit Crabs

1 False Percula Clown Fish :bling:

OH MY GOSH!!! THAT IS CRAAAAAZZY! Wow glad I don't have that problem...

I do have a 1/2 inch fuzzy crab I can't get a good picture of. He is fuzzy all over his body and legs and kind of a peachy color? Any ideas? Do I need to get him out will he turn evil and eat my fish??

OH MY GOSH!!! THAT IS CRAAAAAZZY! Wow glad I don't have that problem...

I do have a 1/2 inch fuzzy crab I can't get a good picture of. He is fuzzy all over his body and legs and kind of a peachy color? Any ideas? Do I need to get him out will he turn evil and eat my fish??

gremlins-se-dvd-image-03.jpg

Sorta depends on who you ask! :D

I believe porcelain/anemone crabs are always safe.

Otherwise, different people have different experiences. Even book authors differ. Probably depends a lot on the setup, the tank mates, the individual animal, the aquarist, etc.

It's probably a good idea to be suspicious of any hitchhiking crab. If you see one at an lfs, though, I'd do some research first--don't just take their opinion.

--Diane

Well, that is exactly what I did with my emrald crab the girl at the lfs swore by them and I thought why not?? but now the once 1/2 inch harmless algae eater is an inch and a half MEANIE! I was curious if he eats corals at all. I am not too worried about he other stuff in the tank, just my corals.

I've only had one major issue with my large emerald crab and that is that he picks the food right out of the mouths of my acans to the point where he has inadvertantly tore one of the heads in the process. The really annoying thing is that he used to eat bubble algae and now he won't touch the stuff :angry:

Archived