Pod Your Reef

scarf_ace1981's 40g br w/ 30g sump

scarf_ace1981

scarf_ace1981

here are the specs for my new set up:

40br w/ glass lid-50lbsLR+40 LS

Lighting: 36" NOVA EXTREME T5(2-39w actincs and 2-39w 10000k w/ 3 LED lunar lights and cooling fan)

External Overflow: rated 600gph

Powerheads: 2- seio 620

30g sump

LS, LR and cheato

Powerhead: mag 9.5 return to display

Skimmer: Aqua C Remora w/ maxi jet 1200,drain fitting and pre-skimmer box

Heater

Additional Hardware:

Corallife Digital Thermometer

Marine Depot Refractometer

Coralife Aqualight Power Center(double)

Hagen Master Test Kit

i got to work on my sump. i bought two of those plastic tank dividers and am very happy with the result. i tought they were white dividers but when i got home i saw they were clear. really like the clean look.

scarf_ace1981

last night i got my overflow. it's rated 600gph. for less than $50 shipped this thing is bad a$$. heavy duty plexi. i'll let the pics talk for themselves.

DSCN0675.jpg

scarf_ace1981

tasmart123- from salt-solutions on ebay.

my mother took my digital nikon for her vacation so i won't be able to post any progress. i have pics of my T5 fixture and the rockwork in my display but it will be about a week before i can show those pics.

but at least i can blab about what fish i want in my tank.

Ventralis anthias male

Red Sea Mimic Blenny

Labout

or

Carpenter

or

Filamented Wrasse

Brown Clown Goby

Pinkbar goby w/ pistol shrimp

anemone crab

and the usual clean up crew and a blood fire shrimp

• 2 weeks later...
i plan making the parabolic reflector into single reflectors.

good luck. It doesn't look like there's enough room in that fixture for individual reflectors. but I hope it works

scarf_ace1981

here are some pics of my temporary 10g fuge. i got my first coral frag. $50 solomon isle branch w/20 polyps green shrooms . i don't think the shrooms are really that happy but they have only been there for three days. one of the little shrooms that dettached while on my way home has found a spot on my LR. it's funny to think these things move around.

shrooms w/ flash

DSCN0817.jpg

scarf_ace1981

calvin- my thought was buying a single reflector but i would bend it so that it would look like this:

side view

IOVO-OVOI

O= bulbs

V=double sided reflector between bulbs

I= single side reflector on front and back

one problem i see is the middle which has the moonlights. this would have to be flat and i would cut out the three holes for the moonlights.

I really liked the idea of tank dividers used in the sump, until I just looked again more closely... They have metal rods in them, on the ends. I think you will find this to be a big problem down the road, when the saltwater starts to corrode it, and it leaches rust into your tank. Good luck though. Maybe you could remove the metal part and coat it with silicone?

scarf_ace1981

BJK2,you know i never thought about that. thanks for the heads up. i'll remove them and find a substitute. as a matter of fact i don't think i'll even need anything to hold the dividers, they are in there firmly and i don't think they will move even when there is water in the sump.

scarf_ace1981

got my mag 9.5, and refractometer last night. i'll post pics when i get back from my two week vacation.

the mag 9.5 sure is loud i hope it quiets down once submerged that thing sounded like a hemi. jeez! the refractometer. what the ... i couldn't figure this thing out if my life depended on it.

If you put a ball valve on the return of the Mag9.5, you can turn it closed just alittle bit and it will put back presure on the impeller and that will stop it from making that chattering sound makeing the pump quieter.

scarf_ace1981

thanks travis. i'm gonna have to, being that this thing is in my room.

i went back and to marine depot to see if i missed something on calibrating the refractometer. DUH! you're suppose to calibrate with distilled water. for some reason i tought it was already calibrated.

• 4 weeks later...
scarf_ace1981

well got back from my two week vacation and i have a couple of updates. just need to purchase two more important components and i can officially start my larger set up...well one really. last two things i need to purchase are the RO/DI unit and my skimmer. i got my mag 9.5, marine depot refractometer and hagen master test kit.

i do have a 10g that went through the cycling process so this weekend i bought a couple of critters.

6 nass snails

2 scarlet hermits

4 dwarf blue leg hermits- 2 of which i think kicked the bucket

1 feather duster

small frag of zoos

$15 FEATHER DUSTER

DSCN0884.jpg

$8 FRAG OF ORANGE GREEN ZOOS

DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0888.jpg

scarf_ace1981

hell yeah i'm done shopping for now. YES! got my last critical item yesterday-RO/DI. soon as i get that i'm gonna filler up. YEAH! i should be getting my powerheads, power center and a reflector for my lights today and i'm gonna haul a$$. there is one last item i need(skimmer) but it can wait two weeks or so. besides my tank and sump will only have dead sand and dead rock until i get my shipment of LR.

well got back from my two week vacation and i have a couple of updates. just need to purchase two more important components and i can officially start my larger set up...well one really. last two things i need to purchase are the RO/DI unit and my skimmer. i got my mag 9.5, marine depot refractometer and hagen master test kit.

i do have a 10g that went through the cycling process so this weekend i bought a couple of critters.

6 nass snails

2 scarlet hermits

4 dwarf blue leg hermits- 2 of which i think kicked the bucket

1 feather duster

small frag of zoos

$15 FEATHER DUSTER

DSCN0884.jpg

$8 FRAG OF ORANGE GREEN ZOOS

DSCN0882.jpg

DSCN0888.jpg

nice zoos frag, its going to look even better once it grows a little more. and the hermit is cool too.

ADAM

scarf_ace1981

i'm glad i was moved to the big boy reefs section. i'll try my best to make you guys proud.

thanks adam.i've been waiting for some encouragement. i guess the lack of comments IS the encouragement for me to haul A$$.

• 2 weeks later...
scarf_ace1981

some new additions to the 10g while i finish setting up the 40br and the 30g.

my RO/DI is doing it's job. very slowly but at least it works. i might need a pump to up the psi.

my porcelain crab

DSCN0922.jpg

pink plate coral

DSCN0925.jpg

duster family, i may keep the middle one only and get a coco later

DSCN0919.jpg

scarf_ace1981

well this weekend i got tired of the 10g and put everything in my 30g(sump). the tanks rack has been reinforced(2X4) after some fellow reefers scared me half to death. sorry for all the wires and stuff didn't have time to prep for shot.

rack reinforced

DSCN0939.jpg

sump currently my display until shipment of LR comes in for the 40br there is a whiper 60 in the back and a AC300 on the side.

DSCN0938.jpg

• 1 month later...
scarf_ace1981

this set up is on hold for now. i plan to move soon and would like to set up the 55g/30g sump and then this 40br/30g sump.

Archived