Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is old Metaframe aquarium safe for salt?

gantnege

I just brought home an old aquarium from my mother's. It was my first aquarium as a kid in the mid 1960's, it's a 5 gallon Metaframe aquarium, stainless steel frame and hood with a slate bottom. The electrical socket is corroded, but it's a standard lamp socket and easy to replace.

My plan is to fix the hood, clean it up, and set it up on my work office desk. I will of course put a screw in power compact 20 watt bulb in it. I already know that it holds water well, but my question is whether the stainless steel will hold up to saltwater? If it will, I may make it a nano reef; if not, I'll make it a freshwater betta tank.

Opinions, please.

I used to have one of those tanks many moons ago when I did FW. Ah, the memories of cutting my hands on the tank and burning them on the SS hood!. Dry, the tank must have weighed 20#'s!

Well, far enough down memory lane!

I would be afraid something would leach into the tank from the tar they used to seal the tank. Plus I'm not sure how long the SS would hold up.

What if I resealed all the joints with proper aquarium silicone?

Also, there are some marks on the glass which aren't cleaning up well. I soaked the aquarium in white vinegar, which helped the calcium deposits, but some dark spots remain. Any hints on cleaning them up? Would a razor blade work?

jenniebutterfly

i think i would try it. seal up all corners very well with silicone. yes a razor may take off the black spots. try it with just some salt water and rocks in it for a while and see what happens. i would do that at home. if all goes well for a while, then move it to work. just keep checking all of your levels. i always wanted to get one of those metaframes. they are beautiful tanks :D

I'll try the razor blade, and it seems I NEED to use the silicone anyway, as there is a small amount of oozing from the tank. I'm glad I filled it on the kitchen counter first!

It is a beautiful tank, and they sure don't make them like this any more, as this one is over 40 years old and still looks good. The top is made of a single piece of stainless steel, bent and spotwelded together, cutouts for heater and filter, with a small hinged front for feeding. I think i will need to add a piece of glass to cover the bulb area, as I'm sure that's why the socket corroded

I had forgotten the other "joys" of the old tanks that doncb pointed out, although hopefully the compact fluorescent bulb will run cooler than the incandescent! And I'll try to be careful of the sharp corners.

Though I've never tried one for SW, I have rehabbed many of them. Use a razor for anything too hard, Try Muratic Acid for any stubborn Caclium deposits(don't get any on the steel and leave a bit of water on the bottom to protect the slate). Rinse it thoroughly. Beware, the slate get's some kind of bacteria in it that will eventually degrade it, thus making it usless for holding water. Also, if it was stored somewhere like a garage or attic, the extreme fluctuation in temp an humidity will cause the slate to flake. The above 2 reasons may be what's causing your leak.

P.S. Before you reseal the corners, pour hot water over the corners a few times to get the tar to reseal.(not too hot though or you will crack the glass)

I wish I still had my old brass and glass tank still. I garbage picked it when I was a kid. I saw one just like it on ebay a while back, they command a very high dollar.

Good suggestions, RayWhisperer. The razor did get most of the marks off. There were a few "chunks" of stuff that came out of the edges of the bottom when I washed it. Maybe dried out tar? The tank spent most of the years in a spare room which was heated and cooled, so the elements were pretty kind to it. The slate seems solid and I didn't notice anything flaking off of it.

The metal looks pretty good except for the inevitable few dents and scratches in the hood. I still haven't decided whether to try the salt or not. I'll keep doing the repair work and see how the spirit moves me.

just buy a 5.5g AGA tank for like $10

It's not about saving $10, it's about reliving my youth! And of course having a tank which is unique and special. Isn't that what a lot of this hobby is about?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

salt or fresh, or you going to take advantage of the slate bottom? i mean are you going to leave it visible(bb) i've always thought a bb slate tank would look fantastic with gravel/sand and live plants/algaes in the corners. tall corals and lr bridging the distance would look killa.

maybe it would look crappy, i dont know. i've never been lucky enough to own one. :)

I'd LOVE to own one of those old metalframe tanks...come to think of it, I know a guy that might still have a couple for sale...I should ask.

i always wanted to get one of those metaframes. they are beautiful tanks

For all who want a metaframe, www.ebay.com or www.aquabid.com. I'v seen alot of them over the years. Prices are a bit high for me though. (Jennie, I know this isn't very lady-like) I've garbage picked over a dozen in the past three years. Garage sales are another great place to look.

This past summer, there was a guy that had 2 (1 was 15ish gallons, the other looked about 7) for sale, and me, like an idiot didn't get them. I'm gonna try to call him up and see about it. I only saw one on ebay, in britain for about $220 US.

salt or fresh, or you going to take advantage of the slate bottom? i mean are you going to leave it visible(bb) i've always thought a bb slate tank would look fantastic with gravel/sand and live plants/algaes in the corners. tall corals and lr bridging the distance would look killa.

maybe it would look crappy, i dont know. i've never been lucky enough to own one. :)

I hadn't thought about bare bottom, that sounds intriguing. The slate DOES look pretty cool. It would certainly be easier to do that with a betta tank. Now I have to research BB salt, too!

Maybe go totally retro-kitsch! Take a look at some of these vintage aquarium ornaments on ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...ralhillantiques

I particularly like this satellite:

16_1_b.JPG

Yes, I can see it now, I would become an ÜBER aquarium geek! B)

Anyway, my head is swimming with possibilities. I clearly need to spend more time on cleanup, too, now that I know what a treasure I have. Anybody have any ideas on getting the scratches out of the mirror-finish stainless steel hood?

I hadn't thought about bare bottom, that sounds intriguing. The slate DOES look pretty cool. It would certainly be easier to do that with a betta tank. Now I have to research BB salt, too!

Maybe go totally retro-kitsch! Take a look at some of these vintage aquarium ornaments on ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?s...ralhillantiques

I particularly like this satellite:

16_1_b.JPG

Yes, I can see it now, I would become an ÜBER aquarium geek! B)

Anyway, my head is swimming with possibilities. I clearly need to spend more time on cleanup, too, now that I know what a treasure I have. Anybody have any ideas on getting the scratches out of the mirror-finish stainless steel hood?

depends...how big are the scratches? If they're little, go to an auto parts store and get 2 things - first, get fine grade buffing compound - it's like a sandpaper gel, and should get out most of the imperfections. After that, you want chrome polish. The best stuff comes in a stainless bottle with a green logo on the front...I think it's turtle wax? Anyway, use that stuff after the compound. that should get little ones out.

For deep scratches, start with 120 grit sandpaper and work your way down (320, then 660, then 800, eventually ending with 2000ish grit)

One of my friends has about 100 of these, she's out of control, I sold her all of mine (: She even has a 10 with a bubble glass front, called "the pregnant tank" and 3 monster stacked 75's which scare me. Glad I am not around when she needs to move. Which is often. If anyone in Portland OR is looking for one let me know and I will see if she's willing to sell.

I use the old chrome lights as refugium lights with a screw in PC bulb, they are great! If the fixture is trashed you can convert it to LED or T-5-mount the electronics on a thin piece of wood and mount that with 2 screws. Work great, look great.

I have had problems with them leaching metal into freshwater tanks when a glass lid was flat on top. Water condensed on the lid at night and ran down the inside, leaving a metallic trail from the rim. The splashes and bubbles from the sponge filters also left streaks of metal/corrosion, and this was freshwater (lightly salted). So I would say this would be bad for saltwater. But maybe if you leave the water level extra low, use no lid, nothing makes bubbles or splashes, and make sure no salt creep ever touches the metal and falls back in the tank... the other thing is that salt will rust the thing like crazy, so you would constantly have to monitor it for splashes, drips, burst bubble spray etc. I had one under a nano and it was completely ruined by all the water I splash during water changes. I am admittedly a slob and don't clean up every spill in the fishroom. Chrome corrodes like crazy in the presence of salty water.

I'd say get a really cool crowntail betta and do a mini plant tank, or put a glass divider in it and get 2 for a better show. Killifish would also be a perfect match. Killies and bettas jump so you would need a cover that is very very tight.

Kate

Edited by Electrokate
  • 13 years later...
On 12/7/2005 at 1:51 PM, Electrokate said:

One of my friends has about 100 of these, she's out of control, I sold her all of mine (: She even has a 10 with a bubble glass front, called "the pregnant tank" and 3 monster stacked 75's which scare me. Glad I am not around when she needs to move. Which is often. If anyone in Portland OR is looking for one let me know and I will see if she's willing to sell.

I use the old chrome lights as refugium lights with a screw in PC bulb, they are great! If the fixture is trashed you can convert it to LED or T-5-mount the electronics on a thin piece of wood and mount that with 2 screws. Work great, look great.

I have had problems with them leaching metal into freshwater tanks when a glass lid was flat on top. Water condensed on the lid at night and ran down the inside, leaving a metallic trail from the rim. The splashes and bubbles from the sponge filters also left streaks of metal/corrosion, and this was freshwater (lightly salted). So I would say this would be bad for saltwater. But maybe if you leave the water level extra low, use no lid, nothing makes bubbles or splashes, and make sure no salt creep ever touches the metal and falls back in the tank... the other thing is that salt will rust the thing like crazy, so you would constantly have to monitor it for splashes, drips, burst bubble spray etc. I had one under a nano and it was completely ruined by all the water I splash during water changes. I am admittedly a slob and don't clean up every spill in the fishroom. Chrome corrodes like crazy in the presence of salty water.

I'd say get a really cool crowntail betta and do a mini plant tank, or put a glass divider in it and get 2 for a better show. Killifish would also be a perfect match. Killies and bettas jump so you would need a cover that is very very tight.

Kate

I would love to get in contact with your friend. I collect them. What is your email?