Innovative Marine Aquariums

-one cured and one uncured-

Iphantom

I recently got a 16 pound piece of live rock for my 7 gallom tank

the only problem is it is very small it only takes up one small half of my tank

so I plan on getting another piece to fill it up but I recently heard from someone that the rock they sell there is not cured good

I went there and saw their curing "vat" and it really sucks...I guess I have one 16 pound semi cured piece of fiji live rock in my 7 gallon

I talked to someone and they are going to sell me a 10 pound fully cured fiji rock with purple and green alge growth on it but my question is

would it be ok to have one cured and one not so cured?

would it be ok to have 26 pounds of rock in a 7 gallon tank?(my guess is you cant have too much bio filtriation)

and my last questoin is

if the 10 pound fits good then I will take out the 16 pound piece

I dont know what to do with it

If I had a 10 gallon salt tank with a standerd light and a 802 power head

would that be ok to store it?

how long would it last like that?

would I need anything else in there to store the live rock?

please try to anser all my questions...

thank you very much

-Matt

what in the...? ? ?

DOOD, that is NOT a rock it's a crusted over winch off a sailboat then!...lol Yer kidding, right? It weighs 16 pounds and you can even fit it in a seven gallon much less it takes up only half the tank.... I'm astounded. Maybe I spend too much time pickin out Fiji rock... is this Gulf aquacultured rock? I need a pic of this thing!

As far as one is and one not.... what else is in the tank? If it's already stocked then you would want to cure the new rock in a seperate tank as the ammo spike would prolly reak havoc on any inhabitants you have now.... if you're just starting out then go ahead and plunk more in.

Oh and as far as "storing it" ... yeah you could put it in a tank by itself with just a NO tube on it... keep up with your evap and do some water changes once in awhile and it will be fine. Well fine in the sense it'll prolly really purple up with coralline but higher life forms may not show themselves or die off completely from lack of enough light.

How much are you paying for this rock anyway?

I think they weighed it after it was placed in the bag with the 14 pounds of water to keep it alive.:D :D :D Pull that sucka out and throw it on a scale, then bring it back to where you got it and throw it at the persons head and demand a refund.;)

I would

if I paid for it

but I know him so he gave it to me for free

I am going to weigh it right now I will let you know...

-but what are you opinions on the rest?

-Matt

ok its 10lbs not 16

I dont have anything in the tank because I just started it

So you think that what ever is on the 10lb peice I am getting tommorow will live through the ammonia spike?

a 10 lb rock is very large for a 7 gallon tank.

Are you sure you have a 7 gallon tank?

If the rock was free bust it up with a hammer and use smaller pieces..(if you cant return it)

Large rocks are fine.. but if u plan to buy coral ( most coral come iwth small rock attached to them ) you will run out of space way too soon.

standard light is enough to store it..but its not enough to grow anything on it cept algea.

~fk

NO = Normal Output (everyday bulbs)

The powerhead is fine.

No, the new LR should not kill your old LR. Just do a water change if ammonia get really high.

Archived