Coral Vue Hydros

Heh, not saying that i will but want to know if i can!

Nishant3789

Nishant3789

i have a 36 watt Powercompact light with a 50-50 bulb in there, and currently have a 15 watt normal out put also on it, but its really not helping, at least to my eye, and i am going to recieve a 2x9 watt light tomorrow from a local reefer. i was wondering if i could keep anyt sort of sps such as monitpora as nano-reefer53 has mentioned is a low light sps and what about clams? i have heard that a low light clam is a desera. the second light taht i am addding is ver similar to the Mini Might. it currently has an actinic and a 10000K bulb  in it.  and im not saying that i really want to do this, i just like to have my options open, and if worse comes to worst, ill just turn of the lights into a nightlight, with one of the red bulbs they sell. so and if u guys need more specs go to my website at www.nishant.nano-reef.com ! thankyou all so much

nishant

(Edited by Nishant3789 at 9:17 am on May 28, 2002)

fishymissy

I don't know enough about SPS corals to comment, but I do know something about clams.

You could keep a clam in your 10g, but there are limitations. You would have to get a small one, and you would have to feed it. DT's is probably the best source of food for a clam. It's live phytoplankton that you have to keep refrigerated.

Even though clams are not extremely fast growing, eventually any clam will outgrow your tank. Then you will have to decide on whether to trade it in or start up another tank.....if you start up another tank, you should know that larger clams need more lighting....MH is recommended for their long term survival.

Right now I have a maxima in my 20g. The lighting in 55 watts PC (50/50) and 20 watts NO (actinic). I feed every other day directly into the tank (no skimmer on this tank) and the clam is doing very well and growing. In a few months I will move the clam to my 90g and put the MH lights over it. I will still feed the clam, just not as much.....perhaps every four days or so....(still not sure on this).

HTH

Nishant3789

hmm ok, i knew that, its because clams get most of there food from plankton when they are young right? well i was sorta thinking long term and if i have to sell it so be it, i can make a few bucks while sellin it to the lfs. what kinda clam would u reccomend? i dunt need to worry bout calcium because i already dose with kalkwasser. thanks

nishant

fishymissy

If you can work something out with your LFS that would be good....but.....ummmm....I feel I must tell you that there is a good, no GREAT possibility that you will be unable to part with the clam! Don't know why, but these critters are addictive!!!

Really, as long as they are small, then any of the clams should do fine. It will be a matter of placement in your tank too.....if you get a maxima or derasa, then putting it up in the rockwork is a good idea, a squamosa would prefer the sandbed. And yes, you're right, the small clams rely on feeding more so than adults.

It is very important to pick out a healthy clam to start with. The clam should retract and close when the employee of the store puts his/her hand over it. If the clam cannot close or fails to respond to shadows, don't get it. You should inspect the clam for any small cone shaped snails (these are clam predators and must be removed), you should also turn the clam over and check out it's foot area....if it looks damaged or torn in any way, don't get that clam. It is quite normal for clams to attach themselves with their byssal threads while in the stores tanks. It is very important for the employee to remove the clam carefully if it is attached. Just ripping it off the rock or tank bottom is not a good thing. They should use a razor blade or some other sharp object to cut the threads. Ripping the byssal threads can cause damage to the byssal gland which will kill the clam.

HTH

Nishant3789

awsome, thanks for the info, but like i said i doubt ill be getting a clam any ime toon but in the mean time im still gonnado some resrearch! now what does everyone else think bout the sps? that seems a little more down to earth for me right now thanks

nishant

Archived