Cultivated Reef

Do you have use a refugium with your nano?

ksatterwhite

ksatterwhite

I'd like to know if you use a refugium with your nano...and, how it's set-up (internal or external, what's in the refugium, water movement, etc.).  

Have you used one in the past with problems?

Have you started using a refugium and noticed a change in your system?

I'm about to set-up my first (hopefully of many) nano's and would like to get input from everyone.

Keith

TooFar2Sea

My oldest tank is a 20g that originally had only a 10g as a sump. I added an 18g rubbermade tub as a refugium. There is sand, live rock, macro algae, a few snails, and tons of bugs in the tub.  Since adding that my 20g has been easier to maintain (I add top off water and thats it).  I would recommend a refugium for any size tank.

Guest AbSoluTc

I have a 28 bow with a builtin overflow.  I have some spagetti macro in there and that is about it.  Pods and other snail like creatures GALORE!  Easiest thing I have ever done.

I have a 10g and I added a simple 1g refugium.  It's just a clear rubbermaid container with about 5" of aragamax, a few smalls pieces of LR, and lots of macro algae and bug population.  Mine is attached to my surge device, so the refugium's water flow comes from the water that gets pumped into and flushed out of the surge container.  I had my nitrates at about 20-30ppm but they are now at zero, probably due to the macro algae.  That's the biggest benefit I've gotten from it so far.  It's something else to look at too though :)

Nope, I got a 24G tank and I dont use a refrig. or a sump.

It would be a cool project to build a PVC or galss hang on type refrig. Hmmm..

ksatterwhite

My 20 gallon is 36" long.  I'm thinking about using a tank divider of some sort to section off about 10 - 12" on one side for a refugium area.  This way I will be able to have two different set-ups in the same tank.  I think this will make for an interesting tank.

Keith

Archived