SaltCritters.com

Kool-Cats 20Gallon Long Reef

Kool-cat

Yes I installed the iceprobe but have it offline because it keeps conflicting with my heater. I plan to turn it on when it gets hotter and turn my heater off .

Some of my new Florida Ricordeas that I got off of Ebay.

100_2641.jpg

100_2655.jpg

Radioactive Nuclear Green Center Galaxy Protopalythoa

100_2582.jpg

FTS

100_2670.jpg

Blue Bumpy Spotted Superman Mushrooms.

My darn 16 scarlet hermit crabs are walking all over them. How annoying. They knock down almost everything, these jumbo sized hermits.

100_2673.jpg

Needreefunds

Great stuff Kool-Cat! Cool superman shrooms. Sweet looking Rics also. Thanks for the great pictures.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
suppressive fire

you still having heat problems? I dont see how because i had my 150 pendant over a 10 gallon about 6" above the water and no heat problems. im guessing its ur heater or how ever you check your temp.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I have my lights 7 inches above the water.

100_6245.jpg

I have:

9 Golf ball turbos snails

1 Emerald Crab

6 red leg hermit crabs

To battle Red Hair Algae

+

1 bi-color blenny

some nassurius snails

2 blue leg hermit crabs

1 occellaris clownfish

1 crocea clam

DUDE NICE TANK! i see a cpr refugium and what kind of hob skimmer is that because i set my 20 long up a week ago and am looking for goof skimmers?

• 1 year later...

Well my tank is down to 3 hermit crabs of which 2 are scarlets. 2 Clown fish and whatever corals survived last years summer heat. I have since sold my aquafuge and reduced the number of pumps like the rioo 600 that uses 10 watts on my fuge. I now use Koralias however the koralia 2 I have is too strong for my newest inhabitants. Hopefully they dont die, melt away or disappear. I am also battling hydriods which seem to be multiplying faster because of stomatella snails releasing their seamen and eggs into the water column....

I hate hydro ids.......

Anyway my newest inhabitants fairly expensive 12 Florida ricordeas.

In the bag Pic

100_4139.jpg

Lights Off Pic

100_4149.jpg

Florida Rics under 14k Pheonix with Egg Crate Sheilding Light

100_4164.jpg

Current Temperature is 82.5F and Hopefully it doesn't fluctuate, hate to see my ricordeas die like they did before....

• 7 months later...

Summary/Recap:

After all these years of coral death in the summer due to heat and lack of flow, I have finally ordered a JBJ Arctica 1/15 HP chiller from Premium Aquatics for $288 shipped UPS ground from ebay. Will use a maxi jet 900 235GPH for the chiller. I just run the CPR bak pak 2r with 10watt rio 600 pump, Koralia Two which gives great flow for a 20 gallon long and will be running a maxi jet 900.

000_0541.jpg

My two original clowns died. One jumped out of the tank in the back and My female clown died when I introduced a sick clown to the tank. Didn't appear to be sick when I brought it.

I use to run so many heat creating pumps in my system, two nano koralias, two rio 200's, rio 600 for the 19.25 inch fuge I sold and another rio 600 for cpr bak pak. Even with two koralia nano's, one on each side, I found that it still wasnt enough flow for my tank.

Also I order another 10 pack of Florida ricordea multi colored mushroom/anemone pack. Hopefully they dont die... I sold the bunch above because I thought I was going to quit the hobby, but some how Im putting more money in.. $104 shipped overnight.

I have pretty much been keeping a record of how much I have spent in total on my Saltwater reef tank, less all the sales I have made, I have spent $3,328.97 on reefing so far.

Used two iceprobes and they hardly did a thing for my reef tank. Too much temperature fluctuations, had 1 with the controller too. The four prong connector on each of my probes got hot to the touch.

Lost $300+ in Aussie acans, I miss my explosive acan. $35 pokerstar and $35 rainbow monti caps too

Hmm... My six line wrasse is beating up my true percula. It goes next to my frog spawn where my clown hangs out and I notice my clown has two white bumps on its body.. Doesnt look like ick or fungus but an injury.

Latest Pics:

FTS

000_0468.jpg

Left

000_0469.jpg

Right

000_0481.jpg

Orange Eagle Eye zoas whats left of my large colony is 4 polyps, hopefully they grow. Nuisance hydroids can be seen. Taken with flash. Got these from B16A2NR back in like 2005, grew 10 polyps to 150 polyps now All i got is four.

000_0464.jpg

000_0480.jpg

000_0476.jpg

From the back, I put a net and super glued it to my tank and stapled to the wall. Fish jumps on net its suppose to hop back into the tank. Triple fans for the summer

000_0463.jpg

000_0459.jpg

This is suppose to be a superman monti, red and blue??? Got it faded for $20....

000_0466.jpg

Middle bottom of my tank looks like a frag plugg dump... Wasnt suppose to be faded, eeerrrrr.

• 2 months later...

Got a Generic Par38 30 Degree optic Reef bulb with remote controller to dim and brighten the bulb off of ebay. Can also switch from blue to white and brighten and lighten each color. Very cool for $65 shipped. I have my LED Generic Par38 bulb on medium over my florida ricordeas because I found the full intensity of the light to be too strong for my anemone and rics.

Had the Generic bulb for like a month now.

Pics to come:

Medium power Dual color

000_0533.jpg

000_0532.jpg

Full Power Blue

000_0540-1.jpg

Shrimp Activity After metal halide shut off, Fire Shrimp

000_0537.jpg

Full Tank SHot

000_0515.jpg

Left

000_0517.jpg

Right

000_0518.jpg

Pink Palythoa's

000_0519.jpg

Aussie Acan

000_0520.jpg

Nuke Green Palythoa

000_0521.jpg

Florida Ricordea Pack, My old batch was better..... More Pastel and bright..

000_0522.jpg

Sun Coral, candy coral and Fuzzy neon green monti

000_0523.jpg

True Percula and Frogspawn

000_0524.jpg

Crappy looking $10 Chalice

000_0525-1.jpg

Fuzzy monti frag

000_0526.jpg

Blurry Fish

000_0530.jpg

Hey Kool-cat I have a 20 long with a sunpod 150 over it and I just changed the bulb with another smartpaq 14k and it looks pretty yellow you think I should wait a few more days for it to "color up" or should I go with a 14k phoenix? Btw where in NY are you?

Hey Kool-cat I have a 20 long with a sunpod 150 over it and I just changed the bulb with another smartpaq 14k and it looks pretty yellow you think I should wait a few more days for it to "color up" or should I go with a 14k phoenix? Btw where in NY are you?

Kurt, If you have the bulb you might as well stick with it. When I first got my aquamedic 150watt, I used the 10k aqualine bulb for a year. IF you can sell it, switch to Phoenix. Better do it quick cause the price of the Japanese made bulb will probably increase, plus the new imports might have radiation. I have a three year supply of phoenix bulbs on hand... I'm in the Queens, Flushing area. You have awesome coral to trade or sell? Right now I want some rare stuff to grow out. I can frag my frogspawn.

Good point on the Japanese import thing I never thought of that. I picked up alot of new coral at NERAC 6 last weekend so its all frags right now. Are you going to the Manhattan reefs frag swap I think next month?

• 1 month later...

Added a Female Mandarin Fish that I saw at the pet shop and couldn't resist buying her. She was eating frozen brine shrimp like crazy. After a week later she started eating frozen enriched brine shrimp in my tank. She does not seem to be interested in frozen mysis shrimp.

000_0561.jpg

Yeah I know what some people might say: Here are my other inhabitants:

-Six Line Wrasse, has not yet picked on the mandarin

-True Percula Clownfish

-LawnMower Blenny

-2 scarlet hermit crabs

-1 brown florida hermit crab

-1 fire shrimp

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived