Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Supplement suggestions

jdiver

Can anyone please offer some suggestions as to what I will need in the way of supplements (calcium, vitamins, etc.) for my new nano? Recommended brands would also be appreciated. TIA.

nothing other than calcium an a ph and alkalinity buffer. doing water changes will add almost all of the elements necessary in the tank. kent is a good company but i use seachem products. most of them are about the same so its not a huge deal.

Thanks for the reply. So I take it all the other products I see (iodine, vitamins, strontium, etc) are either just to get me to spend more money, for larger reef tanks, or both?

It's too tricky to dose most supplements in nanos, because it doesn't take much to overdose.  It's easier to do water changes with clean water and good salt.

If you're keeping clams or hard corals, I'd recommend ESV B-Ionic 2-part alkalinity and calcium, and that's it, besides food and water changes.

you are exactly right with saying that mnost of the other chemicals are for larger tanks. well they can be for smaller tanks that are using skimmers and dont do regualr weekly water changes. it is jsut uneccesary for any of this and is much easier to change 1 gallon of water a week for a 10 gal...or 10-15% for any other nano

printerdown01

I do not believe that supplements are needed if you preform 10% weekly water changes (as long as your salt has a relativly high pH and a lot of iodine).

That means my Kent reef starter kit additives are a waste of money? (apart from the calcium).

I do skim and my tank is slightly larger than the average nano...so I guess I could add a few drops every week.

Nishant3789

It really depends if u like it or not, i mean if u can see a difference then go ahead and do it, but otherwise, i dunt see no need for it. i persopnally just dose with kalkwasser, but that was after some heavy research and even then at very diluted proprions so dont dose unless u really want/need to. there is a way to make a home made buffer if you all would like to know i shall post it under the DIY forum. well hope this helps!

nishant

Archived