SaltCritters.com

ID please

Lacrosseboss18

Lacrosseboss18

I noticed something new in my tank today. It looks like a shrimp but its clear. The body kind of looks like a tick :). He has claws on his front legs. I really wasn’t able to see the whole thing, and I have only seen it once. No sign of it in the past 24 hours. After researching on nano-reef it seems like its an amphipod. Some of the research I have done says they are about a 1/4 of an inch but this guy looked really big. He looked like he was at least an inch. He looked like the size of my cleaner shrimp. (Cleaner shrimp is a baby) He feelers or tentacles were like 2 2.5 inches (what are they called) My cleaner shrimp is frightened to move around the tank. He sits in one spot all day and wont move until the lights go out. He sits in the front right side in the open doing nothing all day. What should I do about this creature? Is there a way I can get him out of his hiding spot to get a pic to better id him? Do you guys thing he is bad for the tank? He didn’t look so cool but I don’t think he is bad. Any help would be great thanks.

Joseph

this is a farfetched idea but it could be a ghost shrimp (remeber i never said it was) its just a thought ,Chris

ps if you can get a pic you know thatll help;)

quiksilver5768

Sounds like an amphipod. If it is an amphipod, leave it, they are good for your tank. A fish or anything in the tank will probably eat it due time.

Lacrosseboss18

Thanks for the replies. It looks too big for a fish to eat it. Like i said it is the size of my cleaner shrimp and now my shrimp only goes to the rocks at night. I am looking for creature but i can not find him. Is there some way i could bate him out. Thanks again,

Joseph

It looks like a shrimp but its clear
He looked like the size of my cleaner shrimp. (Cleaner shrimp is a baby)

Have you ever seen your shrimp molt? Sounds to me like the little growing shrimp had left a molt for you to see. The molt is usually consumed within a day which would explain why you never saw it again. I would not worry about a see through shrimp looking thing just sitting next to a rock and then disapearing. It is natural, and if it is a new shrimp it will do it a few more times in the next month.;)

quiksilver5768

I must not have read the post clearly. I missed the part about it being the size of a cleaner shrimp. Liquid is probably right then, shrimps molt all the time....

Lacrosseboss18

It might be a molt but i dont think so because it moved. Its legs were moving and it wasnt the water moving it. Also when i turned the lights out it was more exposed in the back of the tank. Also like i said my cleaner shrimp will not move from his corner :( thank you very much for you help.

Archived