SaltCritters.com

New nano

Pooky125

2am is a good time to consiter options with a new tank. I got a 3.5 tall glass aquarium a couple weeks ago, that after alot of thought, I decided I want to do a nano.. however, I have a budget.. a major budget, what would you suggest, I haven't done a saltwater tank before, all I know is I want live rock, and sand, I have a heater, and 15 watt light bulb (is that enough???) Anyway, the basic idea of what i need and when I need to get it is all I'm looking for, thanks in advanced!

15W is enough for a 3.5 gal. but since its a tall, you might want to do more. like 2 - 13W [check ahsupply.com]. you would need a powerful or a filter for water circulation. with all the stuff you listed and the powerhead or filter, you can get your tank ready for cycling. if i were you, dont know if it will fit on a 3.5 gal tall, but you might try 2 - 13W PC from ahsupply for $14, and bulbs from hellolights.com, they are having a sale on 50/50 13W PCs for 4.99.

hubu,

i have a 10 gal im setting up and i figured on lights and all, but what do i need for filtration/circulation? im planing on setting up a 10 gal 'fuge when i get the chance, and just tubing that in, but what about the other stuff? what do i need? thanks in advance

i currenly have a 10 gal running. i went for natural filtration via LR and LS. for circulation, i have rio 800 and a penguin 125 with nothing in it. about the 'fuge, you would need to figure out where its goinf to be located in order to do the tubing for it.

yea i figured as much, i already have sand down, could i turn that live if i put down some ls on top of it? would that turn deadrock live too? also, how much do those circulators run? lastly, im prolly gonna wait on the 'fuge till i get my room moved to the basement, thatway the tank will be easier to work with (more room)

Nishant3789

id say yea itd turn the sand live but not the rock. ewell at least not very fast or efficient enough. Id just get some live rock, itll make ure life easier and itll look better IMO. well hth

nishant

how many lbs of LR do you currently have right now? well either way you need to cycle your tank, so during that period, your LR would seed your base rock. it will be alive with stuff on it. i dont think rocks with coralline on it can be considered LR. you can try asking your LFS for some LS from their tank or even some coralline scrappin off the glass. best thing to do is to get to know the people working at your LFS, the best local fish store in your area that is. those circulators are called powerheads. they can range from $10-30. depending on how many gph [gallons per hour] you want. theres a posting for used powerheads by lunchbox in the classified area. or you can search on ebay for new ones.

Archived