ReefCleaners.org

Lighting, tank size, and corals!

printerdown01

printerdown01

Alright guys, eferna is new to the site but had a great idea, that came in the form of a question! He asked whether there were any sites that told what inverts could be kept under the different amounts of lighting... Well I have decided to take a simple poll, in order to create a classification scheme that we know (or are at least convinced) will work. I need your guy's help... And I'll post the results on my site...

1) What lighting do you use: wattage and type (i.e. MH, PC, NO, VHO)?

2)What size is your tank?

3)What corals have you kept successfully (hint: don't put down a coral that has only been in the tank a few days)?

....I'm not going to do this on a basis of watts/gallon, as I do not like that rule -too many variables... if you have a 2 gallon tank 6 watts will yield 3w/gal which probably wont sustain anything, where 3w/gal in a 20 would be significant....

**awe come on guys... so far 12 people have looked at this post, do none of you want to help out?? This could be a very useful tool to someone out there!! Pitch in!

Well I know pulp will help when he sees it...

(Edited by printerdown01 at 8:20 pm on May 23, 2002)

thegr8tdane

My tank hasn't been up for long, so I don't know if I can say that I am successful with any of them but here you go:

I have a 10 gallon with a 65 watt pc outdoor spotlight from lights of america at 6500k and 2x13 watt actinic from ahsupply. 9watts per gallon and 250 gph flow. A firefish, a blue damsel and a false perc.  Green bamboo macro algae, caulerpa, red tang macro algae frag, long tentacle plate anemone, brown (yuck) star poyps, hairy purple with green tip shrooms, as well as green stripped and red shrooms, a flower pot frag, and 3 feather dusters. Hope that helps,

thegr8tdane

my tank has been set up for 8 months.  it is a five gallon with a 32 watt smart light.  i have purple and green mushrooms,  green star polyps, yellow pollyps, i had xenia flourishing untill a recent nitrate problem that it didnt survive.  before that it was growing and pulsing strong. hope that helps

hope i get this right:

1) 1 daylight (10k) 1 actinic

2) 20gal long

3) no corals yet, just cleanup crew and 3 small fishes..will be getting coral soon

it's been up for 4 months right now..hopefully everything is going to be alright :beerchug:

LotR Clown

25 gallon

2 years

1 smartlight 32 watt pc

1 18000K Power glo NO bulb 15 watt

1  03 actinic NO 15 watt

Keeping for at least 1month

Button polyps(top) Doing well and spreading

Xenia 5 types starting to frag newest(at top)

Zoanthids

colt(Midrange)

sarcophyton(grown considerably)(midrange)

Candy cane frag(not as good growth as I would like, but I don't have much experience with Hard coral)

Mushrooms different color of normal type(lower portion)

Feather dusters

That is about all.  I add Kent microvert, calcium, iodine, and selenium and molybdinum.  I would say my setup is more suited to soft corals.  I am running out of room and setting up a large tank with metial halide lighting, so I will hopefully see if there is any difference between using halides and pc.  The candy cane is at the top and is doing fine, but I would not say it is thriving.  Well if you need more info just drop a message here.

10 gallon with 7 gallon refugium,4 months,3x13watt pc and 15 watt no actinic,1 yellow watchman goby,2 blue leg hermits,2red leg hermits,7 turbo snails,2 red shrooms,blue anthilia,button polyps,yellow star polyps,pulsing xenia,commen xenia,unknown xenia(blue),encrusting star polyp,grape caulerpa in fuge.All corals have been in tank for over 2 months eccept the unknown xenia and the encrusting star polyp.I use seachem reef builder,reef plus,reef complete and I feed with kent photoplex.I leave my lights on for 12 hours a day and my refugium is on a reverse cycle.Thats about it.

10 gallon: 72W PC (36W 6400K, 36W Actinic) Frogspawn, shrooms, youngs, buttons, candy, star polyps, xenia, leather, bubble, finger

15 months old

2.5 gallon: 13W PC (13W 10000K/Actinic combo) same live stock as above only smaller!

3 months old

(Edited by fish04 at 9:57 am on May 24, 2002)

10 gallon approx. 10 months old

150 watt MH 10 inches above water, tank 14 inches deep. on for 9.50 hours

Live rock and DSB

Pair Perculas

Clean up crew

Acropora from wild - 7 months growing well

Seriatapora Hystrix  from frag - 8 months growing well

Another hystrix fragged from above - 5 months growing well

Pocillopora Damicornis from frag - 8 months growing well

Porites on live rock - increased in area since set up

Sarcophyton leather coral also doing well and host for clowns

tank set up for about 2-3 months

10gal 27w 6700k and 9w actinic

corals kept over 1 month

xenia growing rapidly

green stars groing rapidly

various polyps doign the same

kenya tree not growing too fast ut healthy

blaustomaosa one frag doing well, other doing ok....but increase water changes is bringin g it back

trumpet coral doing good.

i percula clown one peppermint shrimp

4 snails

4 hermits left(they like to fight alot) and some dusters and mamboo caluerpa that is growing off the live rock.

Nishant3789

1. 36 watt Power Compact 50/50 strriplight from www.petsupplyliquidators.com and a 15 watt Normal Output light 6500K.

2. 10 gallon AGA 20"X10"

3.  1 small Green Star Polyp colony, Neon Green Ricordia, 1 Purple striped mushroom, 1 Xenia

all have been in my tank for about a month and a half.

printerdown01

Thank you guys SO much!! -This will hopefully help out quite a few people! Anyone else want to pitch in on this project?

I think I am the only one taking the NO lighting route.

I have just started out, so no results yet, But I will keep you posted.

I have seen a few other UK reefers do quite well with NO lighting.

Though I only went for softies and perhaps a few LPS in the future.

1. two 36 watt PC, 72 watts total

2.10g w/5g refugium

3.polyps and shrooms spreading like wild fire. New frogspawn added 3 weeks ago has been doing great, its 2 times the size it was at the lfs under their MH lighting.

My 20 doesn't have any corals yet, but here is what I kept in my previous 40 gallon:

Under 4x30 watt NO:

Green mushrooms, Green open brain, pink modern meat coral, blue and green ricordia, pink long tentacle plate, pink short tentacle plate, various blue mushrooms, common caulerpa.

I eventually upgraded to 3x96 watts VHO (two daylight, one actinic), which seemed to help everything thrive with less feedings (all my corals accepted meaty foods).  The brain bleached at first, but them regained its color and looked better than under the NO's.

Archived