Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Lighting for SPS

hayesgb

I'm looking for opinions on SPS lighting:

I've currently got a 15 gallon long aquarium with soft corals.  I'm wanting to keep some sps and wanted advice on lighting options.  I'm considering getting a canopy from AH supply and wanted opinions on PC lighting.  My current lighting is a 55W CSL smartlamp.  Would it be best to get the canopy and add a second CSL 55W, or buy a 55 Wx2 from AH supply.  Can the canopy support the 55x2 + the CSL 55W?  Also, is the 10K + actinic the best lighting for sps, or would I be better off to add a 6700K?

Thanks,

Greg

Son Of Skyline

Welcome Greg! From my own experience, I've found that you need alot of light for sps. For example, my 27gal (18" high) previously had a 175w metal halide, but found that my sps weren't looking very good and some even seemed like they are dying. I then upgraded to a 250w MH and now everything is happy and growing. If I were to set up a 15gal for sps, I'd use a 175w MH and keep a fan on it to control overheating. That's just me though. I know many other people have had success with PC lighting and sps.

NanoReefer53

With 3x55 on a 15g long, i would only try to keep the montipora's. They'll do fine under that lighting but anything like acros really need MH to thrive.

Lunchbucket

ok MH's aren't a MUST for SPS but they are nice.  you can do them w/ pc's..i would do at at least 2x55w on that tank and maybe more.  i had 2x36w on my 10gal and they were growing slowly and now i upgraded to 1x70w HQI 10,000k MH and 1x36w pc and they have taken off....i am debating if i want to try a 150HQI too...i am turning into a light/sps freak now ;)

Lunchbucket

Thanks for the quick responses.  Another question.

If I decide to go this route, (55x2) would you recommend a 10K/Actinic combination, or a 6700K/Actinic?  Also, when placing the lights in a canopy should I place a piece of glass between the lights and the surface of the water?

thanks,

Greg

I would go with the 10K plus actinics.

From what I have learnt, corals tend to colour up much better with that combo.  I also read somewhere that the lower end of the colour temps leads to nuisance algae.

This is just what I read over the net.

Persoanlly, I only had my tank running under a week.

And the few tiny corals that came with my rocks coloured up really well under my Actinic and 9.5K lights.  Under the MH halides (the rocks were placed about 1.5 meters below the MH) the colours in the LFS was just a crappy brown colour.

In my tank, the muchroom has coloured up really well.

Hope this helps somewhat. :)

Archived