whitney

Pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp compatibility

whitney

Are there any known compatibility issues with pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp? I'd like to have one of each eventually...

CGNano

If it helps, i've never heard of a problem between them.

whitney

Thanks, CG. Anyone else? Anecdotal evidence is fine, I don't need professional opinions...

If however, any professionals care to chime in, I won't spit in your eyes...

Caesar777

It's fine; neither is aggressive. They occupy different levels of the tank, anyway--the pistol burrows in the sand, and the cleaner swims about in the open or around the rocks. They'll rarely run into each other anyway, and if they do, the most the pistol needs to do is snap and he'll be left alone.

whitney

Caesar, I love you, you're my hero. I was hoping my ignorance might entice you to provide and answer.

I've got to go get some coral foods tomorrow and think I might just grab a cleaner shrimp while I'm there.

Edited by whitney

fluidimagery
It's fine; neither is aggressive. They occupy different levels of the tank, anyway--the pistol burrows in the sand, and the cleaner swims about in the open or around the rocks. They'll rarely run into each other anyway, and if they do, the most the pistol needs to do is snap and he'll be left alone.

Caesar, I'd like for you to ID the pistol below. Reason being is that he was very aggressive, ate a lettuce nudi, attacked a pair of yasa hashe gobies (no longer in the tank), attacked my peppermint, my cleaner I think died of natural causes but was never to be seen, and got one emerald crab and started going after another. I finally had enough and wound up tearing the whole tank apart to get him out and happily returned him to the LFS. I haven't been able to get any sort of positive ID. As a whole Pistols are supposedly not aggressive, I've only had the one but am scarred.

Looks almost like a bullseye pistol but lacking the token "bullseye", is lighter in color and is lacking the colored claws that the pistol has.

pistol1.jpg

pistol2.jpg

Since he's been gone I've noticed a much different nature of the tank.

Caesar777

Looks like a bullseye to me, too. Funny thing about pistols--they're generally very docile, but very occasionally someone gets one that's just a terror. I haven't seen anything pointing to a certain species--have seen several species act out like this--nor any particular reason. I'd recommend checking out wetwebmedia.com (you can do a search) and seeing if any other people have written in (would be posted in the faq's) about pistol aggressiveness.

whitney

I am so loving the cleaner shrimp. Very glad I brought him home today!

SCUBA BUZZ

my skunk cleaner is the coolest thing i have ever owned ive done countless fresh tanks and have seen hundreds of reef tank my cleaner shrimp is still cooler than anything ive seen in any reef (lions puffers and triggers included) I was actauly debating making my tank a shrimp only tank but my sister (the future Dr and support of my reef addiction) realy wants a clown in there by American thanksgiving si i guess that idea is shot

Caesar777

I like how the cleaners and fires will clean my fingers while I clean the tank. :wub:

SCUBA BUZZ

me too caesar i cant even have my hand in the tank for 20 seconds without my cleaner finding me.

Caesar777

Even fresh imports will do it. Pretty kooky stuff.

renichms

In some rock a friend brought, we ended up getting 2 pistol shrimp hitchhikers. Neither has ever bothered snails but they are each in seperate refugiums. If I move everything into one 55 gallon tank, will these pistol shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico be compatible with the 2 cleaner shrimp I have and my fish (ocellaris clownfish, green clown goby, 2 lawnmower blennies, neon goby - spread out in two 30 gallon systems)? If not, I can put one pistol shrimp in each part of the new refugium (44 gallons each), though I'd like them in the display if they won't tear it apart or pop me while I'm working on it.

RN

Caesar777

Should be fine--they're definitely not mantis shrimp, which is what you may be thinking of.

frag

I think wetwebmedia has a list of which pistol shrimps are compatible with gobies. I was surprised to learn that not all pistol shrimps form bonds with gobies. Interesting stuff, why some pistol shrimp would evolve this relationship and others would not.

renichms

We've seen my pistol shrimps and know they're pistol shrimp, not mantis. I was just worried about the pistols being aggressive toward each other or my more desired livestock.

RN

matter1331

I have that same pistol fluidimagery. I didn't think it was a bullseye when I bought it because every pic I had seen of them they had a circle on their abdomen. But now that it won't let my goby near it and after Caeser's ID, I'm starting to think it might be, oh well, it's still really cool to watch.

AnGeL fish..!

The pistol shrimp is a predator of cleaner shrimp and other ivertebrades

In the wild.. For the most part if the fish tank is big enough for the two to not run in to each other

It's possible to have a nonviolent atmosphere..

Believe or not as long as the pistol is not starving and stays bussy building and digging

It would be ok for the cleaner shrimp.. But make no mistake

The snapping of its claw is not a keep away warning is a mechanism to stunt it's most common victim

"the cleaner shrimp"

It's not impossible to have the two within the same tank..

But it's a a 50/50 chance..

That I'm not willing to take..

It's too bad cuz i love both types ..

But you may have to choose from a builder that could turn phsycho and having to turn your tank upside down to get him out or a clean freak..

I have a cleaner shrimp myself and I would love to have a pistol mooving sand arround all day but I have a very mellow tank and I'm not willing to risk the peace..

I hope this is helpful..

lakshwadeep

First, this is a seven-year-old thread.

Next, there are hundreds of pistol shrimp species, and I can bet angelfish got his/her anecdote after seeing that well-known video of a pistol attacking a cleaner. The symbiotic species of pistol shrimp, especially Alpheus randalli due to its size, are very safe with other invertebrates.

ReefPioneer

I have a fire shrimp and a candycane pistol in a 75g they've been doing great for months. About to add another pistol and fire shrimp in hopes they both pair up. As of now the pistol has left the pair of ywg's and is on his own.