Cultivated Reef

Easy Refugium Fuge Light for the Nano Cube

steelhealr

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you boys getting these palm lights??

this is a great fuge mod- finally one that doesnt require drilling and wiring.

I'll be working on it this weekend.

Where are you boys getting these palm lights??

this is a great fuge mod- finally one that doesnt require drilling and wiring.

I'll be working on it this weekend.

I got mines at Borders Bookstore. They are called "MIGHTY BRIGHT LIGHT"

The lights are pretty bright...

• 3 weeks later...

Hyow can you tell if they are growing? I can wait until my palm light come, I just ordered one last night. The reading light does seem strong enough to grow, only keep it for servival... What macos do you have?

Chaeto. I have kept a pretty 'conservative' nano. I'd never place caulerpa in my tank. My light is on reverse cycle..it comes on one hour before the main lights go out. The palm light is only a few inches off the glass...too close seems to restrict the light (chamber seems dark at the periphery). Pulling it back a bit seems to diffuse the light a bit better. SH

I see a 7200K imprinted on your Azoo fixture. According to my Natural Reef Aquariums book, it is said that Macro algaes live well under 5,500k. Now that fixture is really perfect for your tank and mine as well...

It is the Deco Art Vase light. I found it under the all the sad little Bettas stuck in their little bowls. It is made by Red Sea. Price was 17.99. I am sure it would be cheaper online. According to the box it is 7 watts. The bulbe is really small so I hope I can find replacements if it goes out, but at 18 bucks if it lasts a year I will be happy. Now I just need to get a timer for it. If you need a pic of the box let me know.

that is a cool looking light. Ddin't see anything like that over at petco. as long as you can mount it in the back it should provide enough light. And if it doesn't it was only 8 bucks lol. Not sure how you would mount it though. The one I got had a clip on it.

FWIW, I picked up an 18W PC fixture from Nanocustoms. (It's actually 2x9 W) The site lists the 50/50 version, but Chris was able to get me the one with 6700K bulbs for the same price. (great service!!)

I wanted this fixture in particular because it is very thin and there is little space behind my cube. It's illuminating the middle chamber. I had to prop it up so it gets the top half of the tank, since the chaeto floats up there.

So far I am very happy with it. The chaeto is growing, what more can I ask for?

Just wondering if these refugiums behind the nano will increase pod production?? Will it be enough to have a manderine golby??

no way is there enough for a mandarine goby. They need at least 75 gallons worth of tank for there to be enough pods for them to eat.

NanoCube-boy

I agree, I think your fish should also eat prepared food as well. Some Mandarin eat prepared food as well as pods. You should hope your pods produce rapidy, try boosting with Ocean pods. Though I do not think your pods can keep up the population in these small tank. It is very risky...

I agree, I think your fish should also eat prepared food as well. Some Mandarin eat prepared food as well as pods. You should hope your pods produce rapidy, try boosting with Ocean pods. Though I do not think your pods can keep up the population in these small tank. It is very risky...

I don't have any fish at this point only some snails and a couple of hermit crabs. Tanks only been cyling for a few weeks. i just really like the look of the mandarine golby. Oh well i guess I'll have to set up a larger tank once i'm comfortable with the saltwater ways.

Archived