Cultivated Reef

Easy Refugium Fuge Light for the Nano Cube

steelhealr

NanoCube-boy

Even if your tank have no fish in it, it will never keep up the way Mandarin eat. A lot of people mistake of buying Dragnet fish because they are very cool, but it is one of the largest mistake. If you really want a Mandarin, get the one that are train to eat prepared food.

Make sure you ask your LFS, becareful some LFS do lie. Ask them to feed some prep. food and see. Try Liveaquaria.com, they sell Mandarin that are fed with Prep. food.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK...I'm sold. I did rear chamber maintenance tonite and pulled out my chaeto to gravel vac the middle chamber. Check this out:

nano145.jpg

nano146.jpg

Sorry for the pix, but, that's HALF a kids sand pail filled with chaeto. When I pulled that out..OMG...it was a monster. Growth and color much better under PC than halogen. Halogen was a reasonable tie-over. This DIY is a complete success in my books. SH

I'm the same guy as reefer9391

I ment is all that growth with only 1 little light like he showed in the first post the 7W azzoe light. For macro algea though yes 6500k is the best specturem

I have a bit of cheato in my chamber two on top of my phosban and sponge. I set up my little 7W palm light but I don't think it is working too well. The flow in that area is a little slow since there is the sponge and all but I turn it everyday. I am running the light about 19 hours a day. Hopfully it will start growing. Only been about 2 weeks.

That's it...just a 5W Azoo light...about 3-4 inches off the glass. That's a big chunk of chaeto, IMO, for a nano and the mass of chaeto, estimating, is at least 2-3 times the volume it gained under halogen lighting. Certainly, higher wattage may bring about much more growth, but, the chaeto is definitely thriving under this lighting and more so than halogen. SH

Mike..very nice. I hope you don't mind a few questions:

-is that a fan you mounted on top of the light box?

-did you build the housing and how?

-how did you mount it to the back..silicone ? and any measures to keep salt out of it?

Thanks..nice DIY mod. Frank

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Frank,

That's not my mod, it comes from a user on nanotank. He built it, just send him a pm and he'll respond.

I just thought it would be helpful for you to see more options out there, that are easy to make.

Mike G

Is there a reason you don't run it all the time? I got the one from Drs. F&S for my 6g, at night there seems to be alot of light coming from the back so I just shut it off

I've heard that without a break, some can go sexual..also...with lights....plants photosynthesize..when the lights are off...they respire. I've heard that they need 'downtime'. SH

thanks, 1 more Q. The light I picked up from Dr. F&S said 3w 7200K. are there any replacements that can go down to 5400K(or whatever the optimal output is)? My cheato doesnt seem to grow at all, and i've had it back there for a good month or so

Why not just pick up a new light? No? You know...at Home Depot, they have these round, silver shaped light receptacles for only a few bucks. You could pick up one of those and just buy a bulb..or...just get the larger light from Drs. Foster and Smith. SH

Archived