Coral Vue Hydros

[STOCK] br1anm

br1anm

rock/flower anemone? Thats a common name for starters... and I doubt that is what it is. It's a corallimorphidae of some sort, id would be hard from that pic as whatever it is, it's bleached and a idea of what tentacle distribution is would help id from a picture. From looking at it? My money is on 'shroom.

What does it feel like when touched? Is it tacky or slimey?

Hey Brian,

Good to see that your tank is progressing nicely, I like the new rockwork. :D It's funny but I thought that aquacaping a small tank would be easier than a big tank but it's not the case at all is it!

Interesting anemone, the banding on the tentacles makes me think that it's not a corallimorpharian. Looks pretty cool whatever it is, I hope that it regains its zooxanthellae. Have you tried offering it some food?

Best regards

Ann

Rock/Flower anemones can be found on any website from Dr. fosters to Aquacon, etc... One thing is for sure it is not a Mushroom. The banding on the tentacles, and the dappled coloration seems to look like a Rock anemone. Trying to entice the anemone with food should show its mouth and might help it acclimate and color up a touch.

Awsome rock work, hope the tank keeps progressing the way it is.

Hi,

I havent poked or prodded it but I have been feeding every 2-3 days, a v. small piece of mussel and it has been grasping with tentacles and feeding. i am now waiting to see if it colours up and an ID.

Yeah Ann, i thought a great opportunity to aquascape but its really difficult to match the reality to the vision. i think i need a miniature hammer and chisel!.

in the meantime i need to practice taking pictures (must remember, take out magnet)

cheers brianm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

More Pics,

FTS

pico%20Jan06%20016b.jpg

Angled FTS

pico%20Jan06%20013b.jpg

Slightly from above

pico%20Jan06%20014b.jpg

Centre

pico%20Jan06%20019b.jpg

Zoos and star polyps attaching to rear wall

pico%20Jan06%20020b.jpg

Rock / Flower ? anemone

pico%20Jan06%20027b.jpg

This is accepting food but not colouring up yet

SPS

pico%20Jan06%20022b.jpg

Hard to tell but i think its shoiwng growth

pico%20Jan06%20024b.jpg

This is just a piece i thought i would chuck in when i knocked an end off in my main tank

And finally for now - i managed to catch from my main tank

a velvet coral croucher

pico%20Jan06%20053b.jpg

who has taken up residence between a wall and the filter inlet - lovely looking fish

Cheers Brian

What a cool fish!! Is it some type of goby? The tank's coming along great, the new pictures (at a higher angle) show how nicely laid out the rocks are. B)

Best regards

Ann

Thanks Ann, Im just leaving the tank alone as much as possible now, the fish - common name velvet coral croucher, a good article on them in a recent(ish) marine world magazine. Not a goby although similiar bodyform - supposedly related to scorpionfish (if i remember right)

brian

• 1 month later...

Hi all - this is just part 1

i am really enjoying this small tank - so few problems compared to the maintenance i put in on the larger tank. i have even set up a smaller tank at work and i will post a pic after school holidays. back to this one!

Updated pics

Full tank shots

pico%2020.JPG

pico%2021.JPG

Nice view of birds nest into zoos and GSP

pico%2024.JPG

pico%2025.JPG

definite growth on this sps

pico%2026.JPG

new peice of xenia

pico%2031.JPG

The brown xenia on the right wall isjust going mad and has spread over most of that side and ive had to pull it off zoos and other peices of rock - i am tempted to scrape this off and encourage the paler xenia to spread over that wall

loads of life in this compared to my main tank - loads of pods and worms

pico%2032.JPG

algae

pico%2034.JPG

flatworms

pico%2035.JPG

these are starting to get into silly numbers now - but the tank looks so nice and is doing so well i am loath to use chemicals

Anemone colouring up

pico%2036.JPG

next reply for part 2

Part 2

some lovely zoo pics - these have intensified in colour

pico%2039.JPG

pico%2041.JPG

hammer coral - a lovely small frag

pico%2042.JPG

and growing on another branch of this

pico%2044.JPG

serpent star - i may be removing this

pico%2047.JPG

and the reason why - 1-2cm in length - feeding on small asterina stars from my main tank

pico%2049.JPG

one problem, i hadnt noticed this small frag was knocked into some zoos

pico%2052.JPG

another new entry to the tank - a very small boxer crab (yeah you do need a lot of imagination to spot him behind the rear wall

pico%2054.JPG

couple of more FTS

pico%2056.JPG

pico%2057.JPG

a very long post and a few opinions required

should i scrape off the brown xenia and encourage the pale to take its place?

will i get away with the small serpent star in with the very small harlequin shrimp (being fed on asterina!)

If it were me I'd remove the brown xenia. I suspect that it may be difficult for you now that it's taken a hold though. I allowed some green star polyps free reign in my nano and wish that I hadn't, it gets too much after a while. :rolleyes:

I don't know about the serpent star and the Harlequin, I don't think that it would be food of choice for it so it may be safe. But just in case make sure the you keep the shrimp well supplied with Asterina. Very, very cool shrimp btw. How's the other shrimp doing? I was thinking of adding one or two to my Pico if I can get a hold of some small species.

The anemone is looking great, back from the brink I'd say. B)

Best regards

Ann

• 1 month later...

Hi - really enjoyed the competition and i have learned a lot in terms of aquascaping, photography to put to use in future competitions and setups!!!

Thanks for letting UK reefers take part!

The summary post

FTS from start to end where available showing change in aquascaping

November FTS

1%20(11).2bb.JPG

December FTS

1.891.JPG

February FTS

1%20(1).5d9.JPG

April FTS

1%20(5).c8f.jpg

Looking across from the LHS

1%20(23).1b6.jpg

Centre closeup

1%20(18).01d.jpg

RHS showing a mix of zoos and xenia, the old stuff was peeled off but is starting to come back!

1%20(28).jpg

Green Star Polyps spreading over the wall

Nov --> April

1%20(8).d40.JPG

1%20(18).01d.jpg

Anemone colouring up, wanted a recent one but it has taken to periodically burying itself?

Dec --> Feb

1%20(9).da1.JPG

1%20(10).f25.JPG

Zooanthids, searching for different colours has made for interesting trips to lfs in terms of rummaging in the bottom of their tanks for loose / few polyps

1%20(12).c4d.JPG

1%20(14).557.jpg

1%20(15).f46.jpg

1%20(16).e7b.jpg

1%20(17).278.jpg

p><p><a  href=http://images5.theimagehosting.com/1 (24).969.jpg' alt='a> (24).969.jpg'>

1%20(29).450.jpg

Various SPS and LPS frags

Birdsnest? from Dec --> April

1%20(31).cd6.JPG

1%20(30).5bf.jpg

Candycane, not as successful although it does go through phases of good expansion

1%20(19).jpg

Acropora encrusting over its base and recovering from zoos sting

1%20(22).1f6.jpg

Torch Coral

1%20(27).1b3.jpg

Livestock

Brown and green star polyps

Brown and pale white xenia

Zoos of varying shades of (yes) brown, plus pinks, greens and reds

Rock Anemone?

Candycane coral

Seriatopora?