Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[STOCK] br1anm

br1anm

Stock entry of a UK tank, not bought any bits and pieces yet, will be using an 18w power compact, no HOB and undecided what to use for circulation.

IMGP06461.JPG

looking forward to this!!

brianm

can-he-do-it? yes-he-can!

i love bob the builder. especially when i'm force-watching 8-hours/day on the weekends. <thud!>

anywho, good luck br1!

So those are the UK tanks...

I actually like those dimensions a lot better than the 2.5g tanks. Looks like more depth to them, so could offer better visual depth to the rockwork.

Hi there,

I'm in the UK and would like to give this a whirl, I already have a spare 12x8x8 lying around too. :happy:

However I am stuck for lighting options. Where are you getting your 18W PC?

Best regards

Ann

hi,

im using the interpet t5 18w control gear with either the mixed daylight / actinic or just daylight lamp from ASL. you can get both from "coral garden", (online shop)

brian

Blind Tree Frog
actually, stock competitors are only allowed compact fluorescent lights :(

Not all stock competitors are, so the rule has already been "broken" by others.

Brian,

Thanks, I performed a search last night for lighting and pulled up those. I would have to build a hood for the light though which was something I was hoping to avoid doing as time is getting tight for entering this comp now.

You guys in the US are so lucky having access to all this purpose built nano equipment. Sigh!

Good luck with your set ups everyone.

Best regards

Ann

after waiting and waiting, finally i have started putting it together

IMG_0050.jpg

im using kent refugium substrate because i want to put in loads of critters from my 2ft cube sump - although i think its going to be a real pain but i dont expect to have any livestock which will stir it up too much.

IMG_00511.jpg

making use of that unfair extra 3 inches as i found some thin(ish) plates of rock and cut to size.

IMG_0052.jpg

murky!

IMG_0053.jpg

aaah still murky

im using a newattino heater (non adjustable) but only 4-5 inches high and slim and a hydor powerhead - smallest one i could find - would have loved to have run a pipe down and to the centre then pointing up to give me an upwelling of more unpredicatble current but that would have counted as a mod so may try it after the comp has finished.

power compacts have just arrived and will post pics later and get rid of old fluorescent tube

will post more when the murk has settled.

livestock - i havent tried a sun coral so may include one, zoos and im tempted to try a caulastrea / candycane in this if i can keep it stable enough.

fishwise will be one small fish from my main tank if i can catch it! thinks its described as a red coral goby, but its not a goby

cheers

brianm

prompted by the check in pics, a few of my set up, will take more with proper light tomorrow.

just watching to see if it is approaching stable and probably will stick with stocking to date but if i see something more unusual i may yet change my mind. You can make out a green/white serpent star and 2 ?scissortail shrimp?

IMGP0717.JPG

IMGP0675.JPG

IMGP0715.JPG

IMGP0676.JPG

IMGP0716.JPG

brianm

yeah,

i need to practise taking pictures / work out the best angle, i wanted a rock wall at the back and a slab/shelf in front but it doesnt give any impression of depth!!

oh and take the polyfilter sponge out!

brian

qualudethunder

I think you have good depth in there and the rock wall worked great. If it were me I might try some small rock and build it up around the heater and powerhead to complete it(may look good may not), but it looks great just the way it is.

I was going to say something about the sponge but figured that you would be removing it.

more pics, probably should have wiped the salt creep, and still working on the best angle for pics or possible rearrangement.

IMGP0722.JPG

great job on fitting the lights, all of 2 minutes - most of that to find some scissors

IMGP0729.JPG

18w mixed actinic/daylight

IMGP0723.JPG

IMGP0724.JPG

no flash

IMGP0726.JPG

with flash

IMGP0727.JPG

zoos

IMGP0730.JPG

shrimp and green star polyps

brianm

• 4 weeks later...

wow last post so long ago!

shortly after last post i decided that having the rock slab on the sand shortened the foreground so i had another go at aquascaping (envious at the look of Ann UK's tank) and also managed to find a hob which means that rather than a narrow jet of current i have a much wider flow. Unfortunately this resulted in another and longer diatom bloom which the tank is just getting over.

FTS

pico_1.JPG

i think this looks a lot bigger, you can make out the jigsaw of rock from its previous incarnation. yeah i know is should take the scraper out

i decided the sun coral and candy cane were too large together (yeah and it couldnt hold a candle to the sun coral in zoo girls pico!) so i have kept the caulastrea in the pico and put the sun coral into my main tank and put some more star polyps and a bit of xenia into the pico. along with a couple of small zoos which i am hoping will colour up.

pico_4.JPG

and less welcome guests - not sure whether these will just crash or whether i should use flatworm exit, chemical killer.

pico_3.JPG

other pics

pico_9.JPG

pico_7.JPG

pico_2.JPG

pico_6.JPG

not sure about this, it hitchhiked into my main tank sump on a caulerpa rock, only 1 inch across, so its in my pico tank for now until i get an id.

pico_8.JPG

cheers brianm

i wanted a rock wall at the back and a slab/shelf in front but it doesnt give any impression of depth!!

to get the greatest impression of depth use the widest angle lens you can as close as you can.

Looking really good!

I would stay away from flatworm exit, but that's just my opinion.

Flatworms are not such a big deal anyway and may for the most part just go away on their own.

The hitchhiker looks like a bleached florida ric. It will be interesting to see what colors it develops, but that may take a while to happen.

Thanks Nednai, im just using a digital point and shoot, with usual fixed settings, any idea of the best for the job, portrait, panorama, sport etc?? or what manual settings?.

sorry icenine i should have said the hitchhiker is an anemone, just wondering what type. once identified it may stay or go back into the main tank which has halides and will be more stable!

pico_10.JPG

cheers

brian

The anemone is a rock/flower anemone, they do not host clownfish and prefer to stay in sand, they are usually very hardy and do not get very big since the tentecles are very short. An anemone shrimp or sexy shrimp will probably like it. I would not toss it but I would put it in the sand.

Did you say you had an 18 watt PC or T-5? I see you have SPS is it doing fine with the PC or T-5? I want to put SPS in my new 2.5 i am starting any suggestions on light and feeding?

Archived