Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can Ebo Jager heater be completely submerged?

linty

I'm just wondering, it would make things a lot easier if i could set my heater up horizontally in my tank, but I'm wondering whether or not it is designed to be run fully submerged like that.  Does anybody know?

that is why it is a submersible heater. if it wasnt submersible you may as well have one of those hang on type deals.

actually on my 50 watt ebo theres a water line on the top that you aren't supposed to go over (i think...if im wrong i'll get back to you)

Ebos are fully submersible. The line that says do not immerse beyond this line is for the Canadian market where electic cord can not be immersed.

I'm canadian.  Actually, just has a minimum water line.  But that is probably because I ordered it from the states.  I figured there must have been some sort of issue with it because I could get the 50 watt and the 100 watt versions here but not the 75 watt one.  It's probably not CSA approved.  Thanks for all the answers!

That's funny linty because I ordered my two Ebos from Big Al's they must be Canadian because they both have the do not immerse warning on them. They als o have CSA labels on the boxes. You got your's from the states and mine came from Canada!

ok so this means that either the US has approved a device and doesn't care if we get electrocuted, or the CSA is overly paranoid about the potential for electrocution!

Oh, I could have gotten 50 or 100 watt ones from Big Al's but not the 75 watt one.  They don't seem to have the 75 watt model on their canadian OR american online order sites though.  The one I got doesn't have any labels (csa or er...the american equivalent).

As for flaunt, I'd probably say the CSA is paranoid.  I think there might actually be some sort of CSA standard that forbids any power cord from being submerged.

I figure the states has more money to do tests and stuff so I don't lose sleep over a product that isn't csa approved.

Guest AbSoluTc

Origionally Ebo's were not UL approved - I think it was for submerssion?  However, there was a point they were not UL approved and were taken off many of the shelves here in VA.  Now they are UL approved and seem much better than their prediscesors.

If you have an OLDER Ebo, make sure its in good working order.  The older ones were black with a red dial on the top.  The newer ones I beleive are black/blue with a yellow dial.

Also, I do not beleive RIO's are UL approved either.  I may be wrong on this but I have never seen a UL sticker on them.  Anyone have anymore info about that?

AbSoluTc,

You're right on the Rios.  They do, however, offer UL-approved versions of their larger pumps.  But they cost more.

And you're also right on the coloration of the current model Ebos.

Archived