Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

[CUSTOM] jmorris

jmorris

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No updates, as there's nothing but bad news to give. The Pink stylophora frag that has been bleached since I got it, finally died. Everything was looking OK, then I did a water change last night (all parameters adjusted to be the same as the old water- pH, Alk, Salinity, Ca, Temp) and this morning, everything looks like crap... we'll see what pulls through. Please wish me luck, even if your my competitor, because if this tank is a total crash, my wife may kill me.

Jared

Noooooo! Sorry to hear of the your tank troubles. :( How big of a water change did you do? Really big changes are always stressful no matter how careful you are to match the SG etc. I hope all the other corals make it. You have such a great system going on there.

How's the algae tank doing these days? Nothing has crashed in there has it? I'm wondering if perhaps one of the algae species is releasing toxins.

Fingers crossed that all goes well for you.

Best regards

Ann

The WC was about 2 gallons, so pretty big, but not even 50%... and like I said, all parameters were matched carefully... I have a feeling it is all allelopathy/competition, despite skimming and chemical filtration... who knows... maybe I'm even keeping the tank TOO clean (skimmer, purigen, and refugium, on a BB tank with TONS of water flow and frequent WCs... that's probably pretty unlikely too though, since I'm feeding and adding amino acids regularly. I may have to restock quite a bit, but I wouldn't yet call it a total disqualifying crash.

The algae tank is doing well (lots of tunicates and bivalve hitchhikers).

Cheers,

Jared

You're probably right, with small volumes of water it's hard to get a handle on the chemical warfare thing. When I added the Seriatopora I did lots of water changes and agressively filtered the water over carbon and polyfilters but none of it was enough. It was easy for me I just had to remove the SPS to solve it, not sure how you are going to sort out your tank since it's all SPS. :unsure: Perhaps just stick with all Montipora or all Acropora?

I'm dying to see pics of your planted tank, especially if it's got lots of tunicates etc. Any chance of some pics? Are you dosing anything for the filter feeders?

Best regards

Ann

Algae tank still looks good... the sps tank, however, is completely devoid of all coral life... it has officially crashed.

I believe I'm out of the runing. It's a sad day.

Jared

shivametimbas

man thats horrible. i'm very sorry to hear about ur tank. did all of the corals just die after the water change? man, i feel for ya.

sorry to hear that, j. :o i thought it was just the one seria frag. everything popped or just the sps? (i thought you had some other corals)

have you checked PO4 levels? that did in lunchbucket's 20H monster tank. it crept up on him (nothing obvious) and before he could check, all his colonies went kaput.

can you still stay in with something else? obviously, the mrs. will be looking over your shoulder on $$$ but maybe it could still fly with another format, i.e. soft coral, species, or algae (i'm serious, i've seen some very beautiful algae tanks on shorgy for instance).

sorry to hear about your stony crash though.

All my frags are dead. All the chemistry says there's no reason for them to be dead: PO4 is 0, NO3 is zero, Ca is 440, Alk is 7.5, pH is 8.2, Salinity is 1.026 (with a calibrated refratometer), temp is 79-81F.

I'm confused and frustrated.

NOOOOOO!!!

:o

This is awful man. I am truely dissapointed to hear this.

Well, contest or not... this is still an awsome set up. Re-group and get things going again when you can. I'm still looking forward to what this will look like when it's grown out.

:( man that is a bummer...I have frags for you (lots) if you want to give er' a go again...Im really sorry to hear about the crash...man you had had this competition competely wrapped up.
  • 2 weeks later...

i just saw your official resignation, j. sorry about that, just bad luck. maybe you can re-do the setup for the next contest?

did you ever figure out what happened to cause the quick bleaching? it wasn't rtn, was it? temperature, po4, contaminant, parasite, etc.?

The death was caused by allelopathy as far as I can tell. I had well over 20 varieties of corals in the tank, and their competition was just too much. That is the best explanation I can come up with. By the way, three corals came through: two unidentified acros, and one purple plume gorgonian.

Thanks for the sentiments folks,

Jared

Archived