Cultivated Reef

[CUSTOM] jmorris

jmorris

danny..I think a great to way celebrate finals being over is to bring some frags over to my house...sounds like fun huh?

Do any of you kids want to go to John's on Sat? I heard he just got a bunch of nice frags in and he is having a big sale on Sat...(not that we dont like aqualife)

Lemme know.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gone all Saturday, I have no room in my tank, and I have no money... which is why free frags kick so much ass. Got another couple cool ones, and my tank is stuffed: 1"x2" neon green M. cap., and a very cool Tricolor A. valida (white/purple/neon-green).

Despite the fact that my tank is WAY stuffed, I still have a guaranteed Cali blue tort frag coming in the next month or two. I also really have a craving for a really bright colored milli frag, ya know, a nice green, yellow, pink, or blue one. something like any of these:

Purple%20Milli102703.jpg

A_mill_yel.jpg

p_89228.jpg

PIC00003.jpg

pinkmillepora.jpg

(hint, hint... if anyone has a beautiful milli they want to frag for me, or knows of a place to get one for a decent price... let me know... nod, nod... wink, wink) ;)

Jared

WOOT! I got the green milli I was looking for... $20 at Your Reef... minus 25% off. Wow... what a deal! John kick's ass (www.yourreef.com).

Want pictures? Patience grasshoppa.

Jared

OK, some quick FTS. Sorry about the micro-bubbles... They come and go, but will be gone for good when I get the filter sock installed, and reorganize the sump in the next couple weeks. Until then, they are a slight annoyance, but nothing more.

Oh, and the colors are better than they look (even when they look pretty good)... I'm still trying to get my camera skillz down, and I hope to figure out how to use The Gimp image editor over this holiday break.

front

DSC01238.JPG

right side

DSC01242.JPG

left diagonal

DSC01243.JPG

Jared

WOW....i had no idea you had so much SPS in it already...cant wait to see the growth form hear on out......anyway...the tank is looking really good....cant wait to see the end result...

-josh

ohh yeah i forgot to say...i LOVE that snail w/ the orangish-redish pinkish shell

That's a lot of frags! I don't envy you the task of keeping the warfare under control when they all grow together. :P

It's looking really great though. :wub:

Can you post a shot of the other tank too? I'm keen to know how the algae is coming along. :)

Best regards

Ann

• 2 weeks later...

quick update: my Christmas cheer av is gone, and has been replaced by another symbol of '05 dominance over '04.

Added filter sock, which greatly reduced detritus buildup in the sump.

I added a bright red Trimma goby... he's cool, but not very bright. he got sucked into the overflow chamber hours after being added to the tank... I made a little overflow cover thing out of needle-point mesh, and he's contained int he tank again. he loves' cyclop-eze.

Oh, and on a sad note, the neon green cap and the neon orange cap have bleached out, and the couple of M. dig. frags I got in there don't look great either, while all the rest of the coral looks fine... not sure about it... a water change this weekend will hopefully clear things up.

Jared

Thanks everyone! I hope I can give some of the older/more popular members a run for their money. I don't just want this to be a frag tank either, I want to see natural healthy growth and coloration... which is what I have seen for the most part, excluding the damage done by stupid errors on my part (see below). i think this tank will turn out really great by the end of the contest. And give it another year... wow, I can't wait to see it by then!

I figured out what caused the monti bleaching, and probably the death of a blue stag... I did a water change without paying attention to the temp of the new water, and dropped the temp by 4 degrees in a few seconds... oops. Well, live and learn. And hey, there is always something positive to be gleaned from such a situation: I got a replacement orange cap, the dead blue stag made room for the Cali blue tort I'm getting on Sat, and the rest of the monties are looking a little better every day.

I also just realized that by skimming as wet and as much as I am, I'm loosing salt a little faster than anticipated, so I'm adding a little more salt to my ATO water than I had been (a mix of Epsom salts and Reef Crystals, 1 Tbsp each to 2 gallons).

The Chip's acro frag experienced some STN a while back (before the WC mistake), and I had to break off the branch that had the death, and seal the break with superglue. The one little branch that was left has already almost completely re-encrusted over the break point, and is showing good growth and color in general.

Oh, and I also got a cool purple encrusting monti frag today. New Pics in the next week or so.

Jared

What brand of superglue? BTW, where did you order your lighting supplies? I want to look into doing something like this in the future (giving you credit, of course).

Wheeww! I was getting worried Gil had forgotten about the contest.

Anyway, all my corals are looking better now, and my check-in is forthcoming (tomorrow hopefully?).

For now, here's a stock and equipment list:

The identification of all specimens below was done to the best of my ability using multiple published and online resources. At the very least, All IDs should be accurate to the Genus.

SPS tank

Fish

1 – Eviotea sp. Goby, red and white w/ blue eye markings

2 – Trimma sp. Goby, solid red

Inverts

3 – orange turbo snails

1 – astrea snail

2 – tricolor (dwarf blue legged) hermit crabs

Corals

1 – Acropora sp., neon yellow w/ neon green tips and polyps

1 – Acropora sp., bluish-purple w/ blue polyps

1 – Acropora sp., “Chip’s Acro”

1 – Acropora sp., (stag) blue/purple

1 – Acropora sp, gold/green w/ purple tips and brown polyps

1 – Acropora millipora, green/yellow

1 – Acropora sp., brown w/ yellow polyps

2 – Acropora valida, "tricolor" (cream/purple/green with yellow polyps)

1 – Montipora capricornis, brown/lavender

1 – Montipora capricornis, orange

2 – Montipora digitata, green w/ orange polyps

1 – Montipora digitata, purple

2 – Montipora sp., encrusting, green

1 – Montipora sp., encrusting, purple

1 – Pociloporra sp., pink with green polyps

1 – Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata (possibly Muriceopsis flavida), purple plume gorgonian

2 – Seriatopora hystrix, pink birdsnest

1 – Stylophora pistillata, pink

Other

Cladophora prolifera

Refugium

Inverts

1 – astrea snail

numerous bristle worms, bivalves, tunicates, and other hitchhikers

Macro Algae

Ulva lactuca

Caulerpa scalpelliformis (possibly C. serrulata)

Padina pavonica

Gracilaria sp.

Scinaia sp.

Halimeda sp.

Chaetomorpha aerea

Dictoyta sp.

Avrainvillea sp.

Equipment

2.5 gallon 8"x8"x9" main tank, and matching refugium, with about 7 lbs LR between them. The main tank has a 4" by 4" external overflow tower which uses a 1" drain and a Hoffer Gurgle Buster standpipe to drain into the 2.5 gallon mini-bow sump The sump holds an additional 3-5 lbs LR, a bag of purigen, an iceprobe chiller, a 100w AGA heater, and a slightly modified Lee's air-driven counter-current skimmer.

Lighting on the main tank is accomplished by a 70 watt MH retrofit (Regent Flood light DIY) powered by a WPI electric ballast; I'm using a 14K Astralux bulb. The refugium is lit by a 27 watt DIY PC retrofit wit ha 6700K Lights of America bulb.

A Mag 5 return pump runs through a 1/2" CPVC horizontal perimeter manifold on the main tank, and a 1/2" CPVC "T" manifold in the back of the refugium. I plan on upgrading to a Mag 7 for the return soon. A Mag 3.5 CLS pump is used for additional circulation, and runs through a SCWD and out 2 1/2" loc-lines each terminating in 1/2" Y fittings.

There's a total of 6 fans on the system (one on the iceprobe, two in the MH canopy, one in the PC refugium canopy, one blowing over the CLS pump, and another blowing over the main return pump). I will soon be adding another fan to blow across the surface of the water in the sump.

The ATO is a 2 gallon reservoir with an aqualifter pump connected to a float switch. I go through 2 gallons top off water every 4 days or so.

And.... There you have it.

Jared

dang, j, you're making me feel real bad about my posting "zoo-blue, zoo-red, zoo-orange/green, etc." for my thread. :lol:

sounds great though! get some shots of the fish though. i love the trimma.

you dosing kalk? i only saw rc and epsom, plus your regular changes. i gotta think the stonys are sucking it dry.

I still have to improve pic quality so you can all apreciate how these fish and frags really look.

Eviotea Goby

10404DSC01285.JPG

Trimma Goby

10404DSC01291.JPG

Acropora sp, gold/green w/ purple tips and brown polyps

10404DSC01297.JPG

Acropora millipora, green/yellow

10404DSC01290.JPG

Acropora sp, brwon w/ yellow polyps

10404DSC01299.JPG

Montipora capricornis, orange/pink

10404DSC01303.JPG

Montipora sp., encrusting, green

10404DSC01306.JPG

Montipora sp., encrusting, purple

10404DSC01301.JPG

Pociloporra sp., pink/green with green/brown polyps

10404DSC01294.JPG

Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata (possibly Muriceopsis flavida), purple plume gorgonian

10404DSC01292.JPG

Seriatopora hystrix, pink birdsnest

10404DSC01308.JPG

Enjoy!

Jared

So, did you all like the aquascaping? I sure did... why am I using past tense? Because I had to stick my big, clumbsy, drunk-a$$ hands in there last night when I got home from a party with a couple frags from the host's tank, and try to get them into place. What happened next is just about the worst thing that could have happened to the tank. I pushed the single perfectly shaped piece of rock a little too hard, and broke off the entrie archway/cave behind the sytylophora. all the corals positioned and/or mounted on and around it went toppling, many of them ended up broken also. I spent the next two hours cursing at myself and trying to fix it, butthere is no fixing it. That rock had been shaped by thousands of years of water, burowing animals, and coral growth... and I destroyed it's beatifuly sculpted form in a fraction of a second with one thoughtless movement of my hand.

So much for zen, dumba$$!

Archived