inTank Media Baskets

[CUSTOM] jmorris

jmorris

wow! They look great next to each other...very Zen like!

Awesome... Zen is what I was trying to achieve with this system... a pure harmony of two very different tanks coexisting in a sort of artificial symbiosis. :closedeyes:

So the aesthetics were meant to reflect that idea. The base of the main tank and the canopy of the refugium are the same height, and the base of the refugium and the canopy of the main tank are also the same height; thus both tanks' total height is the same, although they each achieve that height in a different manner. the white stand and the black bases/canopies were also chosen to further the feeling that this sytem represents "The Tao of the Pico." :flower:

OK, that's enough philosophizing for me today.

Jared

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a few more pics... trying to get some macro-shot practice with my crapy camera... hopefully I can get a little more from this baby, or I may have to borrow a better one, 'cause macros are where a lot of sps really shine! (EDIT:colors in sps pics are weird/dull because these pics were taken of corals in a dark tank.)

A really nice baby-blue Acro frag with blue polyps and tips. Polyps just barely extended here.

post-15106-1131777845_thumb.jpg

One of the nicest frags I've gotten yet, a very PE-happy Acro!

post-15106-1131777872_thumb.jpg

Both of those together...

post-15106-1131777859_thumb.jpg

A blue leg riding an astrea in my fuge... Yee-haw, ride'm snail-crab!

post-15106-1131777891_thumb.jpg

One of the nicest macroalgaes I have in the fuge is this Ulva lactuca. You woudn't know how much I like it by looking at the front of the tank, as it has to be tucked in the back, right against the return outlet to get enough flow to surive... still, it's a nice surprise when one turns the corner, and see's its brilliant green foliage tucked in that corner... and who knows, maybe it will spread?

post-15106-1131777908_thumb.jpg

Jared

just killed the first (and hopefully last!) aptasia in the main tank. I used hte lemon juice injection method and gace him and his crevice about .5 ml.... ha ha ! Die you stinking vermin! :angry:

Also, lost another frag, and this time it was totaly my fault (actually, so was the last one... too much dipping/aclimation=stress... dumb me!). This death was caused by me deciding I wanted to move a frag (pointlessly... it was fine where it was), then I knocked it to the bottom/back of the tank, and ended up being pretty rough on it getting it out from behind the LR, and it got all scraped up... damn.

That's OK, it was pretty brown, and really tiny, so no I just have more room for more beatiful/larger frags :P yes, I'm a cold-hearted remorseless coral killer sometimes. :ninja:

More pics to come after I get some real sweet frag hookups from some friends... Woot! Woot! Frags rock!

Jared

Hey jared,

I made the baffles like you suggested in the sump and it worked like magic!

Thanks for the tip........Live rock should go in within the week..let me know if you wanna swing by after work to check it out..

E

hey man...hurry up and come get that frag....i need to clear out that colony from the tank. anyway im glad to see your tank is doing well, ######ty about the deaths but it happens...life goes on.

Pics soon to come of new additions including: A. nana, M. digi, and M. cap in the main tank, and a bit of Padina pavonica (scroll algae) in the fuge. :D Yay for biodiversity! Thanks eric... they look great.

Also, a bit of an algae bloom has come up (rushed things a bit), but the school of baby hippo tangs should have that under control in no time. :)

Jared

school of baby hippo tangs

'bout time you busted them out!!

Looking forward to the new pics, zen master. The tanks are looking great!

Added today: (VERY) pink stylophora frag, and Pavona Cactus frag... Yeah, I know how aggressive Pavona can be, it is at the top, far removed from all other frags, and right in front of the overflow where all his mucus and chemicals will be swept away tothe purigen and skimmer... we'll see what the other corals think of it.

Still waiting on the pics untill I get a good time mid-day oportunity to take them, when the corals will all look their hotest.

Cheers,

Jared

OK, so I took a few pics of some of the new stuff. HTere will be more pics once the shamefull algae bloom has been totally eliminated... hopefully! fingerscrossed

heres the pink bird's nest, the A. nana, the M. digi, and a couple of the Orang turbo snails i picked up to help combatt he algae... pretty and useful!

post-15106-1132766223_thumb.jpg

The pink stylophora... it is even brighter in person... just ask SLOreefer, since he hooked my up with this nice frag. Notice the algae in the pic... yuk :(

post-15106-1132766246_thumb.jpg

And a pretty good macro of the A. nana showing moderate PE. This is a decent depiction of how nice the purple tips look... Like the stylo though, it is better in person!

post-15106-1132766501_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

rather than cross posting the whole message, I'll just link to the thread in the fish forum regarding my temptation to get a juvi Cross' Damsel for the tank.

will a cross' damsel work in a 2.5 gallon sps pico?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Jared

p.s. - New pics after finals week, and once I get my new macro lens/adapter/tripod setup.

Thanks Snoop!

I decided to go with my better judgement and skip the damsel. I'm gonna get a couple very small gobies instead... I think the Trimma goby from LiveAquaria.com, or maybe the red stripe Eviota... we'll see.

Before I shop online and pay $$$$, I'm trying to get the manager at the LFS I work at to order me some interesting tiny gobies, but the selection of such gobies on our stock list is pretty small... mostly limited to red heads, neons, and Catalinas (hmmmm, a Catalina in this tank... they like 82-83 degree water right?

Wish me luck on my biochem final tomorrow, I'm gonna need it! lol!

Jared

WOOT WOOT!!!

I think I just completed my coral stocking! A friend and coworker of mine let me come over and hand pick some really nice frags out of her tank.

We're talking: Chip's Acro, Green stag, purple stag, green w/ purple edge monti cap, purple monti. digi., pink birdsnest, purple gorgonian, and more!

I'll be posting pics in a couple days, I promise... just one more final on Friday (Physics...yuk!), and this semester is done!

watch for updates.

Jared

before you order fish from liveaquaria, give me a call...there are a few I want to get as well (trimma and wrasse)...maybe Danny wants in as well!

Do I hear Sacto group buy?

before you order fish from liveaquaria, give me a call...there are a few I want to get as well (trimma and wrasse)...maybe Danny wants in as well!

Do I hear Sacto group buy?

Sounds good... I'm thinking about a couple trimma gobies as well. If Aaron can get them in before I quit at the end of Jan. I'll have to get them through the store due the much lower cost... but if he cant find them in the next couple weeks, I'll be up for a Liveaquaria.com group order.

Jared

it's such a GLORIOUS day!...finals are finished--for this semester, at least. :) i stopped by the store last week with rachael hoping to see you, jared but you weren't working. lame!! i mean, who needs to spend time with their wife and newborn child?! pshhh... ;)

i might be down for a little liveaquaria group buy if aaron doesn't get any gobies in...i haven't gotten any new stuff in FOREVER. anyway, good luck with your last final, man!

man id be down...feelin a little left out ha ha, im thinking about an eightline or four line wrasse or somethin...anyway jared get soem new pics up damnit! i got my new sump so once i finish plumbing that will be setup and hopefully my tank will look good again

maybe ill come stea some of your tanks inhabitants

Archived