Coral Vue Hydros

[STOCK] ZooGirl

ZooGirl

Excellent pics Zoo girl. I'm glad to see that your frags are looking very healthy! Mind if I use that photo of the GPE's for FragPack.com? They almost look lavender and green, I love it! Keep up the excellent work.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blind Tree Frog

Wasn't fragpacks.com the site that crashed a year ago? I thought they were out of AZ and Jim ran things. Either I'm confused or much has changed :(

Excellent pics Zoo girl. I'm glad to see that your frags are looking very healthy! Mind if I use that photo of the GPE's for FragPack.com? They almost look lavender and green, I love it! Keep up the excellent work.

Sure Todd, you can use the pic. I love those GPE's. They are so pretty. Oh and I'll be taking some shots of my new frags soon. :)

• 2 weeks later...

OK I finally have an updated FTS for y'all. I thought I would get to it sooner but I had an art show and with the holiday, things have been crazy!

Since my last update I've added quite a few corals, mostly zoas and palys. Unfortunately in this shot some of the polyps are closed. I had moved things around and glued a few corals in place so everyone was a little unhappy with me and didn't want to pose.

FTS_1207.jpg

On the left you can see some denim zoanthids that are closed. They are so pretty when they are open but they seem to like a lot of light so we'll see how they like being in this tank.

I have noticed some color changes. The brown palys at the top were deep green but are now brown. Blah. I was going to move them to my other tank but they had already attached to the rock so I left them. Also I have some toxic zoos that aren't so toxic anymore. :angry:

Here's some close ups of some of the new additions.

Here's my dendro with some new "sparklies" from Platinum Reefs. They are just off to the side until I find a good place to put them. Aren't they cute! :P

SparklyDendro.jpg

Here's a close up of the dendrophyllia. Notice the babies! :D

CurrentDendro.jpg

This blasto sure seems happy.

Blasto1.jpg

I love my chocolate mint zoanthids. Here they are with some blueberries.

BluesAndBrowns.jpg

Here's a couple more additions from Platinum Reefs:

Pink and green zoanthids.

PinkGreenZoos.jpg

Ultra pinks...so beautiful! I'm in love!!! :wub:

UltraPinks.jpg

One of the few members of the cleanup crew, a trochus snail.

Trochus.jpg

Now last but not least...he may look like an acan but he's really a ham!! Smile for the camera! :P

Dinnertime.jpg

I really like the black sand. I was thinking about using for my 20 that I'm working on but I'm sure if I would get tired of it after awhile.

Yeah Tony I agree. This is my first salt tank with the black substrate. I like it, corals stand out, but for some reason I think I prefer the regular sand color, it's more natural. Now with my freshwater I prefer the black, don't know why. -_-

WOW!!!! .....im REALLY glad i am so glad your not in [CUSTOM] category...i'd be peein myself ;) :thumbsup: :):lol:

What a nice compliment Fishfreak! Thank you, that's very sweet of you to say!! :)

So since my post last week a few things have changed. I took out my denim zoos because they weren't opening. I don't know, I think they prefer more light than the pico has and I didn't want to leave them in just to let them die so they are out!

Last week I was expecting a shipment of frags, most of which were going into the pico, but that order was cancelled. There was a problem with some of their tanks crashing and I decided to hold off for now from that supplier. I do have a few more frags coming tomorrow but am unsure as to what will end up in the pico.

Also I've adjusted my salinity. It was around 1.024-1.025 and I've dropped it to 1.022-1.023. It seems to have made a difference, I dunno. Polyps are more open and everything seems happy. :)

One thing I've noticed is growth. Here's a FTS shot from today:

FTS_121405.jpg

If you compare this image with last weeks FTS you can see how things have expanded and settled in. The red blasto will probably have to be moved over a bit because it's getting quite big and those pink and green zoanthind I bought from Platinum Reef are growing like mad. I already see new polyps! You can see how most of the zoos have opened up and spread out. It's very interesting, I've never documented a tank before and now I think I'll have to do this with all my new tanks. :happy:

Oh and my green palys that turned brown now have a green sheen to them (can't see it in the pic). They aren't that forest green like they were but I have my fingers crossed that they will get some of their color back. :D

I also wanted to show the dendro growth over the last month.

Here's a pic from 11-14-05:

FavDendro.jpg

And a pic from today, 12-14-05:

Dendro_121405.jpg

He's become much fatter, the polyps have expanded and the two little bumps on the sides of the larger polyp are now babies. I've even noticed today a small bump on the other polyp slightly under the substrate (you can kinda see it at the bottom right).

I gotta tell y'all, I love this coral!! :wub:

Thanks ebin!

I had to share this image with everyone. My feather duster hitchhiker that left it's tube and swam to the rock to find a new home has moved. I guess he wasn't too happy with the zoos I glued next to him. So instead he's camped out right smack in the middle of my pink and green zoanthid colony right under the pump flow, go figure! :huh:

FeatherDuster.jpg

nice growth! the tank seems "grown-in" now. B)

how often are you feeding the dendros?

did you get the palys from seacrop? mine were the same, deep forest green from them, blah brown in mine, but now finally coloring backup to green. we gotta find out mary's secret. :ninja:

I wish that we could get a hold of Dendrophyllia in the UK. I really want one. :(

I'm lovin' this tank, it looks all stocked up now. :wub: Are you feeding the zoas at all?

Best regards

Ann

I spot feed the dendro twice a week with some yummy frozen thing, such as Prime Reef or straight mysis. I spot feed all the corals that eat that stuff like the blastos and acans as well. I also give them a tiny pinch of freeze-dried Cyclopeeze or Prime Reef flakes here and there during the week. For the zoanthids they get a couple drops of DT's once a week. I don't know if they eat it or not but it's something I do for my other tank, I have coco worms in that one, so they get a little as well. Basically I feed both my tanks the same way. I love spot feeding the corals! It's so cool how they grab the food. I'm simple and easily amused I guess. :P

I do water changes twice a week, unless I forget. I usually do the change the day after the spot feeding. I also change filter floss at that time because it gets all full of gunk after the feedings.

Tiny, I didn't get my palys from Seacrop. Actually haven't ever received anything from them yet (that was the order that fell through). My palys came as an extra coral from an Ebay item. The coloring was really cool at first and I love the size. I think they want a ton of light to stay green or maybe the opposite, I dunno. We'll see if they get back all their coloration with these lighting conditions or not.

Ann, they sometimes sell Dendros on Ebay. Is it possible for you to get one from there or would the shipping cost be too great?

Here's a pic of the piggy bugger after dinner:

AfterDinner.jpg

Archived