Cultivated Reef

[STOCK] bogart

bogart

i figured i'd go ahead since i have the tank already painted and most of the stuff i needed anyways. this was when i had it as a holding tank but i broke it down a long time ago...

post-15013-1129603040_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the fellow reefer support :D. My main goal in this project is to maintain and actually grow corals in my tank under the stock regualations. Secondary is to have a very clean and simple tank, putting alot of emphases on my skills and maintence while not going overboard myself( i got to find the balance basically).

Heres a couple of pics of the setup. I went with two pounds of live sand and live rock. I'm going with the 18 watt coralife pc(had it already). I'm also going to change the bulbs on it because there 11 months old and havent been used in like 6, so its probably in my best interest to change them(still 9 watts each still legal right?). For filtration I'm using my personal experences with my tank to make that judgement. I had a millenium 1000(legal) on it, back in the day but that was just too much flow for that tank, seriously i had to tune that thing way down for it to be affective. So i decided to go with mini me from the red sea, you know that filter that comes with 1 gal beta bowl kit from the company called Red Sea, well its max is 16 gallons per hour so im sitting pretty legal. I dont want to go with a heater because its asteticly unpleasing .

First pic is of the dry fit live rock(if it stands dry its good enough for water).

Second pic is the bottom of the light fixture.

Thrid pic is of the tank with water(after cloudiness), filter running, and light fixture set up on the top of the tank.

post-15013-1129784831_thumb.jpg

post-15013-1129785061_thumb.jpg

post-15013-1129785217_thumb.jpg

Post the new bulbs and a freebie from the lfs. No its not a GSP, but its a piece of flower pot coral. Normally I wouldnt put a coral such as a flower pot into such a recently set up tank, but it was free so I ran with it. (I do belive paitence pays off)

post-15013-1129852842.jpg

lol is this going to be a blasto only pico? ;)

:lol: No, but its definatly going to have blastos, now if only I can find a small enough wellsi I'd be in bussiness.

Thanx Travis and good luck to you too.

I hated the stock filter pad so I made my own filter pad and carbon. For the filter I cut normal white floss to size. For the carbon I used panty hose and a small zip tie, and presto instant "bag-o-carbon".

post-15013-1130021489_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It depends becuase Im puting my LPS high up on the very top, Now I dont expect much in the way of growth but it maintains itself. Also depends on the coral if they come from a high light tank there going to be pi$$ed off that you put them in such low light. All I can say is trial and error.

• 2 months later...
:lol: No, but its definatly going to have blastos, now if only I can find a small enough wellsi I'd be in bussiness.

Thanx Travis and good luck to you too.

I hated the stock filter pad so I made my own filter pad and carbon. For the filter I cut normal white floss to size. For the carbon I used panty hose and a small zip tie, and presto instant "bag-o-carbon".

i have one of these filters with a pouch of purigen and an small bag of seagel. works great!

I might put a small rio powerhead to get some alternating flow, in the mean time I put my first Blasto in it.

i thought in stock you could have a hob OR a powerhead, not both.

Archived