Cultivated Reef

[STOCK] DragonFish

Reefgeek

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I can update this thing today. Progress is moving along well, I got my 18w retro from Nanotuners and I picked up a Penn Plax Cascade 100 filter. Don't ask, its cheap, small and blue. I painted the back of the tank blue so the filter kind of blends in a little. Tonight I finish up the hood and base. I know we are not being judged on these but I decided to do something a bit... special ;) I'll hopefully get some pics up tonight. I'm thinking tomorrow I pick up my liverock and wednesday the tanks sole inhabitant. I'll let that remain a surprise.

Oh, that was my old AC 300 when I was going to go in CUSTOM. Totally different filter now, totally stock. Thanks for noticing though :) Do I have to post a new entry photo with the other filter?

No welding required. I built a nice sturdy hood and base and sheeted it with diamond plate. It took about three hours and fourty cut off disks to cut it out with my dremel. Then I just attatched it with spray adhesive.

I'm supposed to pick mine up tonight :) No bending either! All the joints are butt joints. The spray adhesive isn't holding too well in two spots so I might put in a couple screws.

^^^^^what he said^^^^^^

(stainless steel philips head would be my choice)

Really nice so far, keep up the good work!

Got the sand in, tank filled and about 4.5 lbs of marshal island rock. My camera doesn't have a white balance adjustment so the pics come out a lot more blue than they are in person.

~edit: after playing with the color balance in photoshop, I got it almost perfect. Better?

liverock.jpg

Update time, got my mantis last night. She was kind enough to hold still for a pic.

mantis.jpg

What do you think? She is a very dark green/brown. I've read that when the change environments they change color with their next molt. I'm hoping for a lighter color :)

Something I'm noticing is that with a lack of surface skimming, I'm getting a film on the surface of the water. How do we combat that without breaking the rules?

Archived