Pod Your Reef

[CRACKED] Daemonfly

Daemonfly

Softies & LPS for corals.

Already have quite a variety of zoos and shrooms in my 20g frag tank, a small 4-head maroon w/ green center blasto merletti($7!), some pink star polyps, anthelia, and whatever else interests me and is cheap enough ;).

Not sure about fish/inverts yet. Perhaps a small perching goby if I chose to have a fish. May put my porcelain crab in once tank matures a bit, as I rarely see him in my 5.5g (a bit too much rock & has caulerpa problem).

I have a nice pure black headed juvie feather duster in a big yuma rock. Would love to get him in there, but don't know if I want to risk injury by breaking the rock.

I don't think actually drilling the tanks is such a big issue. I have already drilled 2 myself with no problems. Just when I went to tighten stuff down. Crack!! If you have a dremel tool go to HD and tell them you will be drilling glass and they can tell you what bit you need. I think the bit # is 7134. When you drill the tank you can just put it in your kitchen sink and let water run over it the hole time. :D

Yeah, the glass on 2.5gs is damn thin, and just a little bit of the wrong pressure, and it cracks, especially if it was a rough drill job.

New pics of it set up. Still need to wire up fans & moonlights, as well as get a heater in there, :lol: . Again, all pics are thumbnails linked to larger pics.

FTS

fts1-t.jpg

Rock closeup. Was hard trying to get good rocks from the batch I got. Many were too small, many were too big.

fts2-t.jpg

Lexan lid to help prevent evap in main tank. Notches are there due to black zip-ties holding the spray bar.

lid-t.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm out of the contest.

1st tank cracked during setup.

2nd tank cracked after running great for a while.

3rd tank set up, but tried a dual-siphon overflow, but couldn't drain no where near fast enough.

I'll set one up soon, but not in time for the contest. I'll probably go with a custom built 1/4" glass or acrylic main tank.

Good luck vs Tigahboy & his fan club (nothing against TB, just his fan club ;))

Also, good luck to anyone who drilled a stock 2.5g tank, IMHO/IME glass is too thin to handle drilling well (at least the Petsmart "brand").

mine hasn't cracked yet. Seems like it is doing fine. I just have a 90 degree slip street elbow going through and connecting on another 90. They are just siliconed together seems to be working great so far. That sucks though man.

Archived