Top Shelf Aquatics

[STOCK] mickey85

mickey85

Alright, I'm getting the g/f's camera tomorrow.

tank is (naturally) a 2.5 AGA

lighting is a 20W 50/50 screw in cooled by an 80MM fan. both are housed in a custom hood

filtration is a Millenium 1000

sand is straight up aragonite stuff from the LFS

and 3ish lbs Fiji LR

corals ATM will include xenia, a couple kinds of polyps (one looks kinda like a GSP, but I dunno...they're all frags), a shroom and a leather of some sort. More will come, but this is the current list.

also on deck is Pennywise the black clown goby.

they are clean. those socks were last used when I was cutting wood with a pair of shoes with holes in the bottoms...hence the nastiness. I just haven't bleached them yet.

FTS

PA170009.jpg

and a cruddy pic of my bicolor in my 5.5G

PA170008.jpg

I tried to get some macro shots, but for some reason, the camera didn't want to take them. hopefully those will come tomorrow.

well, I picked up about 2.5ish lbs of LR from Premium Aquatics (the white stuff) and the green shroom-rock is from my 5.5G tank. some of the PA rock is in my 5.5, so I've got somewhere between 2.5-3lbs of LR in there. Not sure exactly.

The idea for this tank is to make the leather the centerpiece, with polyps in front and above the leather, and have GSP and such things covering the right side, with the left side being dedicated to shrooms. the Xenia is in there because the 5.5 doesn't have the lighting for it.

well, my leather is looking kinda sickly, but we'll see how that goes.

"macro" shots...kinda fuzzy, with a digi cam that doesn't like close ups...here we go:

Xenia frag:

PA180016.jpg

leather and polyps of some sort. anyone know what that is on the right?

PA180018.jpg

closeup of my blue spotted shroom

PA180020.jpg

closeups of the polyps

PA180021.jpg

Pennywise the evil clown

PA180023.jpg

and...a camel shrimp that I never see

PA180024.jpg

I'm getting a healthy growth of brown(ish) algae on the rocks above the leather...is there a way to control this? I have a snail in there, but he doesn't seem to be good for much except racing up and down the glass...you can see him in the polyp shot in my last pic post.

I have no idea. I went to the LFS and as I was looking at the corals, told the guy to bag me up 5 hermit crabs for my 5G tank. One of them was this snail instead of a hermie. Not a clue what he is...he's got a black shell...

here he is

PA180021.jpg

look behind the rock with the polyps on it.

• 2 weeks later...

well, it's been a while...sorry that some of the pics are fuzzy, and I hope that the sizes work...

FTS as of 3 days ago

PA240022.jpg

new neon candy cane coral

PA240024.jpg

new zoos. sorry they're sofa king fuzzy. they're brown with orange mouths. Also with those came some other form of polyp that's green with a brown ring around the outside...can't really get a good pic of those.

PA240026.jpg

Yesterday I cut off my leather and moved it to an actual rock (woah!), and cut my shroom in half. don't think he liked that one, because he's still freaking out and is clamped up. Also, went to Premium Aquatics and picked up some new zoos. Most are purple with orange fringes, but some are yellow fringed with orange mouths. really pretty.

• 1 month later...

Alrighty well, I am still alive. Not much has happened as of late, and my digital camera has taken leave (i.e., the girlfriend has been using it), so no pictures to post, but I just wanted to check in and let everyone know the state of things

From Dec. 13-Jan 16th-ish, I will be on Christmas break and won't be able to be online much. I'll check back occasionally, but I doubt I"ll be posting. During that time, I'll break down the tank and take it home, where it'll be set up as close to what it was as possible. I've done some re-aquascaping, and have added a few new corals, so I thought I'd add an updated list of what I've got

1.Mushrooms:

2 green spotted red shrooms

2 green , funky lookin' I don't know what kinda shrooms

1 teensy tinsy orange and blue Ric

2.Zoos:

blue/orange

blue/brown

orange/green

orange/brown

I have no clue (blue/brown again?) - got these today...we'll see

3.GSP

4.small pink leather

5.neon green candycane (1 polyp...do these things ever reproduce?)

6.some form of elephant ear-type leather

7.xenia

I'm trying to figure out the best way to spread the zoos, as far as that goes, because 3 of my colonies are on tiny pieces of LR, but they're big enough to look weird when glued to the LR...

ANyway, I"ve removed some of the small LR pieces and now have the leather, candycane and xenia up there to help with flow, though my xenia has been looking mad lately

parameters:

20W 50/50 CF lighting

1.023 (fluctuates between 1.022-1.024)

no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites

temp is ambient - about 75*

• 1 month later...

Archived