Coral Vue Hydros

Overflow capacity?

lizbeth

Is there a way to figure the capacity of an overflow before setting it up and running it? There are 12 slots each .25" wide, it's on the 40 gallon tank. There are two 1" return lines. I have a Mag 5 pump that I'm going to "borrow" from my pond to do the trial run. I know I need a bigger pump.....it would be nice to know what to get before I buy it. :P

Do you mean that there are 2 - 1" bulkheads on the bottom of that overflow? Can you clarify that a little for me?

Usually, the bulkhead size is where you run into flow issues. A single 1" bulkhead will flow 350-400 gph pretty easy.

Cameron

Thanks Cameron. After rereading my post I see that it's not clear.

There is one 2" whole in the bottom of the overflow, I figure it's for a 1" bulkhead. There are two 1" bulkhead returns in the back of the tank approx. 5" down from the top. This is the first tank I've ever plumbed so it's a bit confusing. ??? I plan on attempting to build and install a Durso standpipe in the overflow. The returns will need check valves or to be plumbed up closer to the top of the tank so it won't flood my livingroom when the power goes out. I think my thinking there is correct.....but I'm not completely sure.

In addition to that I'm building a sump/refuge out of a 20. Still figuring that out too.......

There is a picture of the tank in this post

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=6750

i agree with physh. unless your outflow is less than an 1" diameter i don't think you'll have anything to worry about even with two 1" returns (overflow vs. return volumes). the overflow edge usually isn't that much of an issue unless it's too high or somehow less area than your outflow, which it currently isn't (i.e. your overflow is fine imo).

the sump could just remain a regular 20g. most of the plumbing and returns should be carried out by the pvc piping imo (with 45's and 90's). no need to drill or anything ime. just keep in mind the spacing for a cover with the downflow and upflow piping. 'dry' connect everything to test spacing and positioning and then permanent cement into place.

the key is the return pump. measuring out your head and adding a bit for movement. a submersible one (or two) is what i would recommend for plumbing and setup ease. mag's are my fav. good luck! ;)

Lizbeth I would avoid check valves they are not as reliable as they should be. I would just plumb the returns higher and avoid any issues outright.

Good luck with it, that was a great deal you got.

Originally posted by LiQuiD

Word to da mutha land.  Plug those puppies up and pvc the return over the rim and in.

WHAT? And do away with the possibility of flooding the livingroom? You've got to be kidding? :rolleyes:

Archived