Cultivated Reef

Overflow Diagrams

Tigahboy

Is there a way to modify this design to fit my current situation? I have 3 predrilled bulkheads, two to the sides and one in the middle, all drilled into the bottom of the tank. Could I use the middle as my return, and have one of the sides as the main siphon, and the second side as the emergency overflow?

If not, how would I be able to do this?

there may be some Ideas in this thread. From there let me think on it.

Hey bitts i'd hope you would chime in. I think I got it mostly figured out, just not sure how high my return pumps GPH should be, or if I should put a ball valve on the return pipe as well as the main drain. I'm doing a mod of the herbie design, with the main drain on one side, the emergency drain on the other side, and the return in the middle, and i'm using standpipes that the tank came with. Not sure how much I should fill the 10g submerged sump though, because in the event of a power outage, the display tank's water level is going to drop a good 2-2.3" to where the main drain is at. The tank is 30"L, 18"W, 16"D btw.

first for flow the ? is what will be the total system volume.

then will it be using a closed loop & or power heads.

first for flow the ? is what will be the total system volume.

then will it be using a closed loop & or power heads.

The total tank volume accounting for the drop of water from the main tank to the sump is going to be 45 gal, with 5 gal in the sump when it's running. This is going to be a planted FW setup, so directional flow isn't really necessary I don't think. The top of the return standpipe has a PVC cap with 4 holes cut in it, so it should give a really gentle flow to the whole system. I'm going with the submerged sump and submerged media so that C02 isn't dispersed too heavily.

Will a half filled 10g standard tank be enough room for a sufficient amount of biomedia and to house the return? The 10 gals are 20"L, 10"D, 12"H

Also, I know i should have a ball valve on the main drain, but should I put one on the return line as well?

Edited by keydiver

Hey everyone. I'm working with a tank that's only 10 inches deep- not yet drilled, but will be drilled on back pane. Over flow not yet designed. Any recommendations? Could I get away with just one pipe?

Maybe a 90 (inside) turned up or down with a T (outside) and open top? Just worried because 10 inches isn't a whole lot of room- its going to be rimless and i want to avoid clutter.

Thanks,

Tim

Keydiver heres the equation for setting the flow up from the sump.

time = 9.2 (system volume/flow)

this 9.2 is the purity coefficient for a 99.99% water volume filtration rate. you can go with 6.4 for an extra 9 on the end I think. could be the other way & I don't really feel like doing the math right this second, sorry. but its unneeded really either way, just go with the 9.2. Ideally you are suppose to filter the system volume, 2x daily. so time=12hours.

so I'll bet you can get away with some thing really low for flow.

as for the ten. that should leave you with 5gallons for backflow. so my first gut reaction says it should but it will come down to the siphon breaks n stuff.

Hey everyone. I'm working with a tank that's only 10 inches deep- not yet drilled, but will be drilled on back pane. Over flow not yet designed. Any recommendations? Could I get away with just one pipe?

Maybe a 90 (inside) turned up or down with a T (outside) and open top? Just worried because 10 inches isn't a whole lot of room- its going to be rimless and i want to avoid clutter.

Thanks,

Tim

theres no reason you can't but it may make A LOT of noise. if its just an upwards facing 90.

look at what seabass & calvin415 have done on there setups.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Undertheradar

How much flow do you plan on putting through it? FWIW, your backup should be larger than your primary. On an 18" cube, I cant imagine needing more than a 1/2" for the primary as long as you have a strainer on the intake.

• 2 months later...

Hey folks. I'm looking to add a sump tank at the same level as my Pico tank (not below it). I've drawn a diagram and could use some feedback-- as I've not designed sump and overflow before. It seems to me it should be much simpler with a much simpler overflow design-- but I'm not sure.

If any of you have time to look and give advice, it would be appreciated. :D

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=288968

• 4 weeks later...

About 10 years ago I modded a couple of pieces of PVC into straight stanpipes with strainers inside, they had near zero clearance outside of 1" for my 120, allowing me to reduce the overflow box size. This design would work in a nano as well. They had the star pvc caps/you have to cut the pvc away and then fit it over with a slightly larger coupling. I painted them black, they were awesome. Thats all I can remember, easy to adjust etc.

Chip, that looks really decent, but it also looks like it will be a pita to clean. Why not just get a custom tank built that houses the display and sump in one and do four acrylic chambers dropping the fifth one? that would be a lot easier I think.

• 2 years later...
SantaMonica

I used a Hebie for about 6 years. The best setting was where the emergency overflow was always at just a slight trickle. At that setting the whole thing was silent, and would run for months with no adjustments at all.

• 3 years later...

Would this work as a minimal single-pipe setup/ has it been done before? I would have two in a duo 10 gallon setup. Am totally willing to scrap the idea for something more traditional that would take up more space (am just concerned with space limitations like many ITT), just a thought i had. Thanks!

overflow.thumb.png.61ba5df64d1c1177609ce7e27a2d31de.png