Innovative Marine Aquariums

!@*&%$#$% DIATOMS IN 1 YR 24

Bozu

ok the last few weeks i've been having some seious diatom blooms in my tank thats about 1 year old. ive been doing 50% water changes weekly, keeping lights on from 12-10 and keeping feedings really low. what the hell is going on? anybody use uv sterilizers on their nano? if so how does it fit in these things?

Check your silicate level in you water. f there is an abundance of silicates in the water your going to get diatoms. I had the same problem, a really bad brown diatom outbreak that just kept getting worse. I added a silicate removing compound to my filter and did a few water changes and presto, no more diatoms.

Good luck

just ordered the uv steralizer and im going to try looking for some silicate removing compound. i've always bought my ro and saltwater from jeffs exotics. initially i thought it was their water so i bought from another lfs around here (paid big bucks for water) for a couple of months and still had the same problem.

jeffs tanks are pretty clean and he dosent have diatoms in the tank.

thanks for the tips !!!

cant find the silicate removing compound. the only stuff i found by mark weiss (i think ) . just add the powder to the filter????

Archived