Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

my new FOWLR

devil

I'm starting a simple 30 gal FOWLR tank...

I have in there:

1" sand bed (I think it's enough... it is isn't it?)

no rocks yet but I'm planing to get some in the near future...

1 powerhead 150 gal per hour... but I can put a 200 if needed

1 heater 150 W...

1 flourecent tube 28" long actinic

1 DIY good skimmer-tested!

1 external 250 gal per hour filter

I think that's it...

the tank is:

40" long

10" in the sides and 20" in the midle wide (bowfront)

20" high

is the equipment enough?

or shuld I add something else?

For a thirty gallon, I would use a small skimmer. I would definatly upgrade the lighting system. Id go with atleast 2 x 55 watt powercompacts, three if you could find an extra $60.00 in your budget.

Get some really good live rock and some good live sand, it will help your filtration cause.

Well i wont comment either way, but for my 45 tall ill just tell you what im using and let you take some ideas, 2 inch substrate, 35lbs lr, wet/dry filter with skimmer under tank rated at 300 gph, ground probe, 160 gph powerhead, and a lot of calurpera.  for the lighting im using 2 96w PC's, one 10,000k and one actinic...

you dont need much for lighting then your No flourescents will be fine for now. you will want to upgrade in the future prolly since it will appear dim, your crustaceans will dig it though.

Toy

Guest AbSoluTc

Vanilla -

That link you posted - is NOT an ideal setup at all.  First, the eggcrate is a waste because the sand is going to fill in the area - Second, your greating a waste zone.  Basically an UGF (undergravel filter).  If any waste gets down to that area you will have problems later on.

Thats my only rant.  Its wastefull work for something that makes no sense.  Now if he did NOT add any sand, thats another story.

Archived