Innovative Marine Aquariums

shrimp and goby pair hiding in reef bunker question

bank_vault

Ok here's the deal i recently acquired a tiger pistol shrimp and a red banded goby. So for the last two days I haven't seen hide nor hair of them. Just wondering how long has it usually has taken any of the members here to have their symbiotic pairs become more visual in their tanks?

Depending on how big your tank is. You may never see your goby/shrimp again. But what I do is drop some sinking pellet food around their cave entrance and see if they come out and eat.

My guys disappeared for about a week, then reappeared paird up. But...I bought them as a pair. If you're lucky like I was, they'll either choose or make a cave in the front or side of your tank. If they do it in the back, you may rarely see them. SH

I've got a couple pairs in different tanks. One of my 120G tanks has a Randalls Goby that's actually paired up with two candy cane pistols. Threesome baby! I see the goby all the time. It's under some rocks on the right side of the tank. I don't see the shrimp too often, and even more rarely do I see both shrimp at the same time. My other pair is a hi-fin goby and a candy cane. They're in a 26G bowfront in my bedroom. I see them more often, and I hear the pistol all the time. I never hear the ones downstairs. Probably because of the volume of the tank, the fact that it's got a canopy and the glass thickness.

Yeah i've found the suckers, well saw one of the pistol's whiskers and saw the goby foraging this mornin. They changed the entrance to the cave from the front of the tank to the back. Oh well I hope they get at least enough food when i feed for them to survive

Mine hid at first, it took a while to realize nothing was going to hurt them and they could safely come out and explore. After four months I see them out and about more than in their caves. If nothing in your tank could be seen as a potential threat to them, they'll likely get more comfortable in time and you'll see them constantly renovating and going for little walks together :)

Archived