Pod Your Reef

How Did You Discover Nano Reef Keeping?

Christopher Marks

I started 12 yrs ago breeding Discus, got bored with them so I set up a fancy goldfish farm, then managed an abalone farm so thought it would be great having a Reef tank at the same time 20g. Now setting up a 9g mushroom/ric and a 15g zoo tank. My current 28g will become my LPS and SPS tank. I spent 10's of thousands and made back some :D

• 3 weeks later...

i got into saltwater aquariums with a fish-only tank for five years. i wen to a LFS and really liked them.

My friend got into reefing, and i really liked it, so now im into reefing. also NR helped me finalize my decision if the extra money and work was well worth it.

• 3 months later...

had fresh water tanks since i was 5, always was always told salt was to hard for me BS it wasn't ! wen i was 13 (already a scuba diver) i started a 30 gal fish only then 3 months later the fish store got those 20 watt coralife scru in bulbs that i could afford on $10 allowance so i started a 10 gal with a hob filter, a power head and 2 20watt bulbs, i put plants in there cuz i liked them (they saved that tank cuz my water had hi phosphates) BEST DAM TANK IV EVER HAD !!! and i was only 13!! i learned what i was doing right on this site lol

my only advice: if people say its impossible, say WATCH ME and do it!

My teacher had a tank in his class, it was a 10g. I liked it.

Did some research, set up a couple tanks and now I don't have a car but several reef tanks haha.

• 3 months later...

the idea for a vase reef came to me in 2001. I had freshwater planted experience before but no sw help. This site was my first stop for help which I got, then reefcentral, then reefs.org.

I stayed on these three boards for nearly 6 years before venturing out elsewhere in addition, just geeking away, that's my tale.

Edited by brandon429
  • 4 weeks later...

My friend at his LFS got me into nano tanks. He had the first bio-cube I have ever seen and I though it was so awesome! All he had was LR and a couple fish in it but it still looked cool!

Ever sense then I had to have one!

• 3 weeks later...

I was inspired as I walked through a local fish store. Having never really seen corals for sale before, I was amazed. Due to the fact that I was only about 21 years old and didn't have much money, my first saltwater/reef tank was a 10 gallon. My dad said he had a saltwater tank many years ago and said "it would be a lot of work". Being my stubborn self I decided to try anyway. I researched everything I possibly could on the internet about keeping corals in an aquarium. At that time, all the advice I found said not to even try it with smaller than a 75 gallon tank. The words "Nano Reef" were not even in existence back then! I was determined to succeed or die trying. I bought the salt mix, test kits, and an air stone skimmer for around $75 I think, and at the time, thought that was a lot of money. Oh how times have changed :) Since there was nothing, and I literally mean NOTHING as far as reef lighting for a 10 gallon tank back in 1998, I had the task of making my own system from scratch. I went to Home Depot and bought 4 small fluorescent lights that were for under cabinet lighting. I tore them apart, replaced the bulbs and mounted them inside a homemade hood.

added sand...

added live rock...

the rest is history. 12 years later and still learning new things every day.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

After keeping several fresh water tanks in the past naturally I wanted to start a saltwater aquarium. My coworker kept trying to talk me into it but I was cautious since I hd heard good and bad about maintenance and price. Finally about a month and a Half ago I went to my local reef shop. I quizzed the owner on everything I had questions about and walked ou with a pico tank they had set up. Making the leap to saltwater was just what I needed. Screw tv, I'd rather watch my tank. I plan to upgrade to a larger tank in the next year or so, possibly a biocube29.

• 1 year later...

HA, my boyfriend at the time broke up with me and I needed a very time-intensive hobby I could invest myself in to keep the mind busy and myself interested in other things :)...

Reefkeeping always seemed fun but I always believed it was very difficult until I found Nano-Reef and saw just how easy it could be. The boyfriend is now an ex--and I still have a tank =D

JamieSheffield

I've always loved keeping freshwater aquariums, but tended to stay in the 10-20 gallon range to keep it under reins...my belief was that SW tanks had to be 75-120+ gallons to work, and this kept me away from the hobby, until I heard about this website/forum...

Thanks NR!

Jamie

My wife and I wanted a dog. Landlord said 'no dog', so we impulsively decided one day when driving to call in and buy a fish tank. Bought a 34G freshwater AIO (similar to a Biocube), bought the neon tetras, cories, got quite into it.

Then I noticed the saltwater section of the FW forum I had joined. Investigated and loved the idea of a pico, went to the LFS, ended up with two. Then realised I had no idea what I was doing and somehow found this forum - can't even remember how.

ApiratenamedJohn

I've always liked aquariums. Had freshwater all through school. Then I joined the military, couldn't keep one there. I did my four and got out a little over a year ago. Had freshwater for a while before my brother convinced me to try a saltwater aquarium. So I got an google and started looking up everything i could. I watched a lot of newyorksteelo's videos on YouTube. Eventually I stumbled on to this site. After a month or two of creeping in NR I found a killer deal on a bio cube and got started.

Edited by ApiratenamedJohn

Was starting the tank and knew I would need to be able to pick others brains. Googled reef tanks, took a few looks at the options and liked NR the best. SO here I am!

Went to college at Indiana University and there was a pet store just down the street named "Delilah's" which kept saltwater fish/coral/etc. Walking through there everyday made me interested and then I found nano-reef.com! Never looked back.

I have done fresh water tanks for as long as I can remember. I have always wanted to do salt but was too intimidated, plus I tended to move every year. I just spent the past 2 years paying off a lot of debt, credit cards, student loans, etc. Im now completely debt free, so for a reward to myself I got a 4 gallon. I immediately called myself crazy for going so small, but now I am beyond happy I went for it. It's a great learning experience, awesome hobby. My critters are happy, the rock is pretty, and parameters are still a happy 0, 0, 0. Go me!

So once I got to the point of having a pet rock on a sand bed, I went, ok....now what?

and google....lovely google...found me n-r.com :D

Edited by akima283

Had a freshwater planted tank and wanted something easier to take care of and got into saltwater.

First it was 1 10 gallon tank, then 2, then a 40B. Was and am still amazed at the colors, diversity and the unexpected life that comes with it.

And I'm not kidding about being easier than a planted tank, everyone tells you how difficult it is to keep a reef, I put in about half, if not less, the work I used to.

• 4 weeks later...