Coral Vue Hydros

Schooling fish in a nano

quiksilver5768

quiksilver5768

Hey everyone,

Right now I have a par of true percs and a coral beauty which have been living happily for over 7 months now. The coral beauty is starting to get a little big and im thinking about selling it back to the LFS for credit. I really like grren chromis and how they look when they school together, so what do you all think if I got 3 green chromis along with my 2 percs...The bio-load will not be a problem...im more worried about the space and if they will be ok. Any suggestions would be appreciated (I dont want any flamming answers! :) Im looking for a serious response and a reason why) Many people said many things which I have done in both of my tanks would not work but I did them anyway and they have worked well for me (2 mandarins in a 40 - Been living together for about 3 years, 3 fish in a 10 - happy for over 7 months, 2 tangs in my 40 - been happy for 3 years, etc...) yes I kno some of these things were not very smart to do but All of them were done almost by stupidity i must admit and I was told AFTER i did this that it wouldnt work but it always did. This is really the first time ive asked so...comments would be appreciated...:)

NanoReefer53

:angryfire: :cwm23: :devil: :flaming:    

JK  ;)

How big is the tank that your going to keep them in ? I heard they don't really school but more like stick together if there isn't any big fish around. Wanna see a cool schooling fish ?  Check out these ! Too bad they arn't in the US though.

tank.jpg

(Edited by NanoReefer53 at 9:40 pm on May 28, 2002)

I would really be interested in learning more about your 40G tank with the two mandarins.  From what I know its not possible.  What are you feeding them?  Etc.

Thanks.

Pics of this tank would be nice. :)

Sorry to jump into your post.

quiksilver5768

It is possible if you get mandarins that eat prepared food. I dont have any pics of the system but i will try to take some and post some pics later...Any more comments. By the way its a 15 gal

Those are cardinalfish of the genus Apogon.  Since there are about 50 valid species, I'm not gonna venture a guess as to their species.  Cardinals are rare in the States because of low demand.  Personally, I find some cardinals pretty interesting, and hopefully importation will increase in the coming years.  Apogons are readily breedable too!

I'm rather surprised your two tangs haven't outgrown the 40 gallon yet in 3 years.  A nominally maturing specimen should normally get too large in that amount of time.

BTW, there are no fishes that will noticably school in a nano reef; there simply isn't enough room for this to be noticable.  

Nishant3789

Um is it just me or does anyone else not see any fish in the tank besides that clarkii clown in the anenome?

nishant

Why do those rocks look like they're spray painted to me?  My coraline is patchy on my rocks.  They look too perfect.

That doesn't mean I don't think its an awsome tank!

Nishant3789

haha i c now, lol that is interestin absalutC. they blened in pretyt well though. yea and korbin i agree with you, they do look a little too perfect. well nice tank and back to the subject... i think there are a few brackish foish that are sschopoliing not totally sure what kind though hth

nishant

NanoReefer53

welcome to the world of Japanese reefing Korbin. If you think about it, Japanese always have it simplistic, organized, yet stunning.

What is all of that stuff?!  I tend to make things a little more complicated than they need to be sometimes, but WOW that looks like some overkill to be proud of!  I'm staring to think I should add some more contraptions to my tank.  Inspiration to go overboard is a great thing.  What all is hooked up there?  

NanoReefer53

That is how they keep their tanks in perfect constand conditions. There are multipe timers to do lighting cycles as it would in nature. The computer is hooked up to a Neptune system which controls water chemistry. Everything from pH, ORP, temperature, etc. It also keeps a log of everything. Other things include calcium reactors and the sump. The second pic shows a bunch of dosing pumps with chemcials that do it automatically when they are programmed to. The R.O keeps a fresh supply of top-off water handy.

Archived