Coral Vue Hydros

Stocking 20L

burtnnator07

burtnnator07

Ok, so I have recently started a 20L and I'm trying to decide on what I'd like to have in there eventually. I won't be putting in any fish in for at least a month or so but I'd like to know what yall think about the current plan.

Ok, so at the moment I'd like:

Tail spot blenny max size: 2.5in

Shrimp/Goby pair with a Hi fin red banded goby, max size: up to 2in

False or True Percula (can I fit a pair?) max size:2-3in depending on sex

I'll also have a cleaner shrimp and various snails.

So feel free to rip my dreams to pieces for the sake of the fish

What kind of filtration will you be using with the tank? I too am trying to feel out a good stocking level for a 20L so I am just as curious as you are, ha ha. I don't think the pair of Clowns would be a good idea with the other two, too much bio load, unless you have a decent sized sump maybe?

burtnnator07

Live rock is my main filtration, I have 27lbs at the moment, so I'm thinking a pair of clowns, plus a blenny and goby will be too much.

No sump at the moment, perhaps down the road though, I'll hook up my 10g for a sump/fuge.

Any ideas what I could get besides clowns? I could get one, but I would feel like I was making it lonely. Six line is an option I suppose, but like you said they have shrimp issues sometimes. I like basslets, but I want something that will be out and about...hmmm I'll have to think and research.

Well you could also definetly do a dottyback/psuedochromis, there are some colourful variation of them out there, firefish can be colorful as well, but caution they jump! I think I am going to do the clown, a hector's goby and a small shrip goby of some kind. I think with the skimmer and the fuge plus my regular water changes it shouldn't be an issue.

burtnnator07

Shrimp gobys are so interesting. What kind of goby are you thinking about?

I might not do my shrimp/goby combo because I think they may need a deeper sand bed than mine (I have ~1in). We'll see.

I looked up the orchid dottyback today, but they all get so aggressive that it seems like most people end up taking them out.

Firefish is a possibility, I really like the purple ones. Helfrichi are really cool too but man are they expensive!

I like yellow clown gobys too so might get one of them...hmmm

I think I will do the red head goby, otherwise you could check into other type of gobies because the do have alot of personality although they aren't as active as a six line or dottyback, and they are generally pretty small.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I still can't decide and would love some feedback from you guys.

The tank is a 20L with 27lbs of live rock, mini fuge and a small hob filter just for mechanical filtration and if I ever need to use carbon. I hope to get a protein skimmer in the future. This is a reef tank with a clean-up crew and will house some shrimp.

I'm just going to list the fish I like, so what combos would you make from these? Or what are you're favorites from this list and why (personality, mevement)?

*Ocellaris/percula clowns

*black cap basslets

*Royal gramma

*Chalk Bass (anyone know about these, they seem like they should be ok but haven't heard much about them)

*Midas blenny

*tail spot blenny

*hi fin red banded goby/pistol shrimp

*Purple firefish

*Bangaii Cardinal

Thanks for your time and advice

I know they aren’t on your list, but in my 20L I have a firefish, yellow clown goby and a red head goby. I personally love this combination. The only thing I MIGHT want to change is the red head goby for a barnacle blenny. Also, many people fear the firefish as jumpers, which they can be. I have had a firefish with an egg crate cover lid for almost 2 years now. But he has become so passive in the tank that he doesn’t even dart away from my hand now when I stick it in the tank. I would stay with 2-3 smaller fish (gramma/clowns and the like will become too big and potentially aggressive). The purple firefish are gorgeous, but expensive. If you want, you can click on my sig to see my fish and how they look in my tank.

Thanks for the feedback! It's appreciated.

I thought about a clown goby but I've heard about some people getting agitated because they sit on their corals and cause them to close up. Plus, they just perch a lot right?

Very beautiful firefish you have there =D

Archived