Cultivated Reef

Xenia sp

hayesgb

Poll question here:  What types of Xenia are people keeping in their nanos?  I've seen several beautiful colored Xeniidae, such as the pulsing silver and red sea.  I've also read they can grow like weeds and literally take over your tank.  I'd like to keep one, but worry about this happenning.

Also, any experience out there with a blue pulsing sinularia?  (Saw vid clip on Reefcentral -- seems to be a debate as to whether its a sinularia or a cespitularia)

i have a brown patch of xenia right now, goin to get some pink, i would like some blue and red. anyone with a blue or ref xenia frag?

Guest AbSoluTc

I beleive I have red sea xenia.  However I did not know there was an actual "color" variation in the speceis.  

My Xenia multiplied to around 24 stalks in a couple of months.  They started out with 2 little frags and now has become a forest of Xenia in my tank.  I do not mind this at all.  It fills empty spots and can be contained fairly easily.  Just DO NOT place rocks with xenia next to any other rocks that you dont want it to spread to.  Very simple.

My xenia has a flourescent green color to the tips.  Very neat.  I also have Pom Pom xenia that has and keeps growing on a power head.  There are about 20 or so stalks on it along with a pink sponge.  They are very feathery and beautiful when fully expanded.

Im actually trying to get rid of a few stalks - if anyone is wanting to trade?

I acquired a decent-sized frag of Xenia elongata from fellow reefer Delph.  It's mostly that fleshy beige color you see in most Xenia, but as the branches split up to each hand, they get a lot of light and dark striping.  The tentacles of the hand are also beige, but with very dark feathering.

So it's not colorful, but it has a lot of contrast.  I really like it.

It's also double in size in a month, and movedhalf-way across a 6" wide rock in that time.  This stuff spreads and splits like mad.  But it'll be quite easy to frag and sell them to the LFS when it gets too large.

I also have a Xenia elongata frag of Delphs. I've had it a little over three weeks and it's in the process of splitting right now. I think it has made a very nice addition to my tank. I love the way it pulses and waves with the current.

When I get my other tank set up I'm definately going to look for other types to add to the tank.

Matt,

Don't have any picture yet. I'm fighting the demon red algae right now. It's not to bad but annoying. I like the suggestions at Reef Cantral about how to combat algae problems; Have a single malt scotch, and this to shall pass. I'll take some pictures soon.

Lizbeth

Yeah, I went through the same problem.  If you look at the (low-quality) picture on the front page of my website, you can see the sand is almost entirely covered with red algae.

Impatient as always, when I had the chance, I'd go through and scoop it out while it was thick.  Within a week, its growth was already diminishing, and I just took to poking at it to break it up.  Now, two weeks later, there's barely any sign of it.  Which is a huge relief, because that stuff's ugly.

I've heard some people (most notably, the owners of several LFSes) act like the stuff is the worst thing to happen to your reef tank, and that you *must* take drastic action immediately.  Throw in a bunch of "disposable" snails, dose with slime-away, and cross your fingers.  One of those store owners told me my sand was now "dead" and I would have to remove and replace it all.

Sometimes you wonder what people are smoking....

i got that red algea. its growing all on the rock and sand and such, i'm just siphoning it out once or twice every week, its kiiling hair algea and it's easer to remove. my corals dont seem to be botherd greatly by it.

Archived