Top Shelf Aquatics

70w hqi ballast

mxpro32

i still cant find an hqi ballast for 70w.  lunchbucket said he got his at premiumaquatics but they only have a tar and coil design. is that the same ballast you use lunchbucket?  it doesnt say anything about hqi. i really want this setup but i am having the hardest time finding it.  any help would really be appreciated.  maybe premium aquatics doesnt carry your ballast anymore?  

HQI ballasts can be tar and coil or e-ballasts.

If you have a friend with a tax ID go directly through Advanced Transformers you will save a ton of dough.

HTH,

Toy

(Edited by Toyfreek at 12:18 am on May 28, 2002)

Lunchbucket

i got mine from www.premiumaquatics.com  they don't list the HQI ballast on thier web site but they have it for like 110 i believe.

sorry for the slow reply i have been very very very very swamped w/ finals, projects, internship, work, etc...

Lunchbucket

Fishiebusiness
Quote: from Toyfreek on 10:45 pm on May 27, 2002[br]HQI ballasts can be tar and coil or e-ballasts.

If you have a friend with a tax ID go directly through Advanced Transformers you will save a ton of dough.

HTH,

Toy

(Edited by Toyfreek at 12:18 am on May 28, 2002)

What is the url of Advanced Transformers? I take it that its a wholesale place like graingers. If i had the IRS employer id number of a business based at my location, would that be enough?

hey thanks a bunch guys.  i cant wait to get my lights.  how much heat do you lights put out?  is it an issue?  im planning on putting mine over a ten gallon tank with a five gallon refugium.  i can make a chiller if heat was a problem i was just curious if it would be. thanks

NanoReefer53

Advance dosen't carry a 70w HQI ballast. THey do carry a 150w and 250w HQI though. The ANSI code for a 70w HQI ballast is M82 so you can maybe find one at a lighting supply store.

mxpro32-remeber to get a UV shield as these things put out a lot of UV that will burn your corals. Heat won't be much of a problem as long as you have it anywhere from 3"-6" over the tank with air circulation.

i have a 175w metal halide over my 28 gallon without a uv shield.  do you think i need one on that?  it does have an acrylic sheild that it passes through.  my corals are fine in that tank though.  where do you get uv shields?

NanoReefer53

A mogul based bulbs already have a UV shield but the double ended HQI bulbs do not. UV shields are made out of glass so maybe you can find one at a local glass shot or a picture frame store. I think tempered glass will filter out some UV rays. How does the acrylic shield withstand the heat on your 28g ? just wonderin

i bent a piece of acrylic so that it forms a u and the top part of my hood caps that off so that it forms a tunnel.   i have a fan in one end and a hole in the other and the air blows right across the lights.  it keeps them real cool actually.  there is about four inches between the bulb and the acrylic.

I can tell you from experience that DE's run VERY hot.  Alas, that's the price you pay for much improved PAR.

I still have my 70w "HQI" unit if you're interested.

NanoReefer53

haha...i'm thinkin about upgraded the 175w on my 20g to a 250w HQI ! That's like the power of a 400w standard MH (excpet the iwasakis of course).

nanoreefer...have you seen camerons 20 with the 150w hqi? his tanks are pretty cool his website is

www.californiareefs.com

everyone should check his tanks out he also has a 7 gallon bow that looks good.

he is moving them all with him. wayne is babysitting his clams and stuff while he takes his tanks to ohio to get them stablilized. he just bought a 150w hqi for his 7 gal! isnt that nuts! ohwell he knows what he is doing, i mean he has ben doing it for long enough.

Archived