inTank Media Baskets

Can anyone ID this algae?

jburke30

Hey all,

This stuff is really cool looking, but I haven't seen anything like it before (probably not hard to stump me after only 8 months in the hobby though =).

Anyone out there have any idea what it is?

This is what you do, cut some of it off the rock, put it in a container with a heatpack and overnight it to me and I will analyse it and determine what it is.:D I seriously have no idea but I want it. gimme gimme gimme.

Hey all,

Well, it's just in that one area right now, but I'm trying to get it to spread a bit more. Up close it looks a bit like red spikey bubble algae. It's very unusual, and I've never seen a picture of it before in any of my books. It seems to get bigger in areas of low circulation. I know this because I had to take my powerheads offline for a couple of days, and during that time they balloned up quite a bit. Once I turned the powerheads back on they went back to this size. I've since moved the water flow off of them directly to see if I can get them to ballon up again =).

Liquid: If it starts getting crowded in that corner I'll let you know =).

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by joshnemily

it looks like a colonial tunicate. they would get bigger or smaller depending on the water flow and direction.

Quite possible yes.

jb: Is that PINK the EXACT color of it? or is it more red?

Soft to the touch or textured? is is poreous or solid?

Off the top my head... Id say sponge, or tunicate.

COULD BE....Scinaia complanata sic: CHAETANGIACEAE, NEMALIAES

Soft leathery gelatinous read - light pinkish alga. It is fairly rare occourance in captive rock as it doesn't transport well, and is prone to salinity bursting and meltdowns.

Hope that helps...???

• 2 weeks later...

Archived