Innovative Marine Aquariums

Some sorta clam or mussel livin in my LR

Nishant3789

Nishant3789

hey i just foundout that one of the shell stuck to my rock was alive! it seems to be some sort of clam or mussel. but only part of it is comin out. it looks as thought the "top part" of the clam/mussel is stuck to the LR and the bottom is sticking out. and on the side it opens up a bit and exposes the mantle which is brownish and when i shine a light on it it closes up. the thing is, its not getting much light, since its under a LR bridge. ill try and get a pic asap, but any help would be great. thanks

nishant

i have an encrusting clam like that... he just seemed to be growing from within the rock!  the one i have is very hardy (he's been in since the beginning and has survived a lot of trauma), and he's only around the size of a quarter, but he's definitely grown since i first saw him.  i think these types of clams are cool!  every once in awhile you'll see the mantle open and close.  one thing you might watch for is worms hanging around it a lot.  they might be feeding on it.  mine has had worms hanging on it for a long long time, so i'm assuming they aren't predatory, otherwise they would have killed it already!  i believe some clams have a symbiotic relationship with worms, not sure about the specifics though.  also i'm sure the clam will benefit from a sufficiently high calcium level and a decent amount of light.  he's probably pretty hardy.

i have found a couple types of small clams on my lr. but someting is eating them everyonce in a while i find an empty clam shell by the one rock. infact i think i found the culprit and have to try to catch him. a small rock crab never saw him till last night. i shined a light in the tank and saw the red eyes :o :o :o

Archived