Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Red Hair Algae...any killers?

bluebastion

I've searched and read up on nuissance algae... however I can not find, for the life of me, any help specifically for red hair algae. Anyone know how to actually get rid of it without having to take the LR out? Are there any natural grazers on this type of algae? I know about the limiting of light and nutrients part... I am not looking for a growth preventative... I'm looking for an elimination alternative. Please let me know.

Is it like a red macro algae? I had a problem with that a while back. Got a mexican turbo and it tore through it in 2 days. Has to be one of the true mexican turbos. Those ugly brown/black golfball sized ones.

lol... yeah just got one a couple of days ago...HUGE. Anyways... as an update... it did the same thing in my 2.5... I had to place him on the problem spots... but dang, it does have a taste for that stuff. Watching that stuff go away is a beautiful thing.

To prevent it from coming back, limit nutirents and maybe grow macro in a fuge. Since doing this I have had absolutly zero nusance algea in my display going on 6 months now and I still tend to over feed.

Archived