Top Shelf Aquatics

Dirty Live Rock

SBGRAD24

I recently set up a 29 gal nano with about 40lbs of Fiji live rock. The rock seems to be covered with detritus and I am not sure if this is totally normal. The water looks dirty because of all the dirt floating off of the rock. I've had a FOWLR before and don't remember having this problem. The last few times I've done water changes I have directed a power head at the rock to stir up the junk, and then siphoned out as much of it as I could. Is that a good idea or should I let it be? I wouldn't mind it so much if the water didn't have so many tiny particles floating around in it all the time. Please help!

If you have an power filter fire it up with some floss. It really helps.

I though I'd try a new to me method with the rock I got yesterday. I scrubbed it with a tooth brush to get the obvious dead stuff off rinsing in a bucket of saltwater as I went along. LOTS of gunk came off. In that gunk were lots of critters I wanted to save from the cycle so I put the gunk in a critter keeper with an air stone....instant refugium kit.

In the cycling tank I'm running two power filter because gunk is still falling off the rocks!

Archived