Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sebea's 62 gallon custom

Sebea

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now here's the question. Should I build a canopy, and put the reef optix in there with actinics, or should I leave it open-top, and get a more appealing pendant? I would like to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

i like open top... and for return pump mag 18 no way. stick witht he 600 sump return you had planned. the less flow through the sump the less noise it will make int he overflow. get the maajority of flow from the cl. witht he canopy. i like the look of open top but thats your clal on visual preference

I originally planned open top, but I like the look with and without a canopy. I am kinda leaning towards open. Thanks for the input for the pumps. I read somewhere that less flow through the sump is better for some reason. I guess I will do like 1000+ GPH for the CL.

I agree with the sump flow... I'm planning on a quiet one 3000 for the return with a T diverting about 200 GPH throught the chiller and UV and then back to the sump. As for your CL just remember the squirt is rated for 1000-1100 GPH... I'm running a quiet one 5000 and plan to throttle it back a little if the 1" to 3/4" reducer doesn't do enough... I spoke to Paul (Oceans Motions) and he said it should actually handle 1200 GPH, but he likes to be conservative.

Still just as ugly as the Reef Optix, I've got 2 of them on my Dad's setup. :) Hidden by a canopy of course. Really it's up to you on the pendant. If you want an open top tank, then it's all about the sleakness of the pendant (keep in mind you will still have to find a way to hang it). If you want a canopy it's all about the reflector. Just like those who have the luminarc reflectors for thier 400 and 1000 Watt bulbs. If you want a great reflector, I'd say build a canopy to help control the light and hide the pendant. If the reflector doesn't matters then just find something that looks really cool. B)

I have narrowed my choices down to two. (With open top) Either the Giesemann NovaII 250 watt pendant, or the 24" aquamedic ocean light 250 watt MH and Dual 24 watt T-5 actinics. The upsides to the giesmann is that it is very sleek and very high quality. The upsides to the aquamedic is the dusk/dawn effect, and it is also high quality.

The only thing with the Aqua Medic is that I don't know if 2 t-5s will have an equal light spread for a 24" wide tank.

Hey Aaron, I just read through your thread.

Nice job planning it out and adjusting when needed! You're getting some good advice so far.

I agree with, and suggest, the 600-700 gph for the sump. Anything more than that will be noisy, and overkill. Definitely go 1000+ gph for the closed loop.

I'll be following along on this one!:)

Rob

Decided on a canopy with the reef optix pendant. Here is a design that I am considering:

62g2.jpg

I don't know how the cabinet behind the tank would look, but I could have a fuge above the tank, which would feed into the tank. This would be a neat option, and it would hide all the plumbing behind the tank, but again, I don't know if this would look good or not. What does everyone think? Too complicated?

Here is how it is supposed to work: There will be an extra pump in the sump which will pump up to the fuge. From there, it will drain into the tank.

i like the idea of the fuge overhead, that way pods wont get chopped up by the pump when going into the main display. overall, it looks great, just make sure you have some sort of venting/airflow where the lights are to keep it from overheating.

-mark

Looks pretty sweet Sebea, rather than having a seperate pump for the refugium, you might just T off your return (with a valve of course) so you can control the flow a little more. That's what I'm doing for my chiller and UV. :)

I was planning on making the fuge 24 inches long, and probably 8 inches wide. Height will be an issue, because I need to light the fuge also. If my canopy is 12 inches high, I guess that I would have to make the fuge at most 8 inches tall. I will probably drill the bottom, so it can drain into the tank. I was planning on having the top half of the back of the canopy to be blocked off, so the light won't leak.

What kind of light do you think I should get for over the fuge?

On a seperate note, I just picked up a 32 gallon garbage bin so I could start to cure some rock. I am going to Dr.Mac's in Maryland next weekend, so I will pick up about 50 lbs. of rock.

Also, I need to order the light, chiller, skimmer, pumps, and many other things soon.X)

Archived