Pod Your Reef

Sebea's 62 gallon custom

Sebea

Hey everyone,

I'll start documenting my 62 gallon custom reef project. After many, many months of research, I am ready to get started. The tank is being built by Socalcreations. Here are the specs:

Tank:

- 30" x 24" x 20" tall w/ .5 inch acrylic

- Euro-bracing

- Dark blue center overflow

- Matching blue back

- Closed Loop

Lighting:

- Reef Optix III 250watt, 20k, pendant w/ blackwave III ballast

Skimmer:

- Euro-Reef CS5-2

Closed Loop:

- Oceans Motions Squirt

Sump:

- Not sure yet (Probably glass)

Pumps:

- Around 600 gph for sump return, and closed loop

Stand:

- Around 35" tall

- Oak

- Built by myself, and my uncle

Other:

- ATO

- Won-bros titanium heater

I pretty much designed this tank so at first, I can keep a mixed reef, but later on, go all out sps. Later, I can upgrade the pumps, and switch to a 14k bulb.

Sorry for such a long post, but I had to get over that hurdle.

Thanks!

-Aaron

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am deffinetly going to have around 900-1000 GPH for the closed loop now that everyone has convinced me. Thanks Cyclo. I would love to see your tank as well.

Also, soon I will get update pictures from socalcreations. I will post them here as soon as I get them.

ok, Randy at socalcreations said the tank will be completed by the 15th of October, and will arrive here the 21st. That gives me enough time to get everything, and prepare.

What to use for a sump, what to use. Basicly, I don't trust regular glass sumps as my brother's cracked right down the middle. I don't know if this was caused because he used a perfecto tank, or maybe because glass tends to break. I would love an acrylic, but I don't have the money to get a good one yet. Any suggestions?

What to use for a sump, what to use. Basicly, I don't trust regular glass sumps as my brother's cracked right down the middle.
Very strange... Glass tanks are designed to hold the weight of the water when the tank is full. When using it as a sump, it isn't full and should have more than enough strength. Throw in a few baffles and it should be plenty strong. Maybe your brother just had bad luck...

I personally went with an AGA for my sump and cut the baffles using a Dremel and a diamond cutoff wheel. With AGAs being so cheap, I couldn't justify buying anything else. Although... an acrylic sump would be nice...

Calvin: Thanks! Actually, your tank kind of persuaded me to get those dimensions. I am really impressed by everything you have done so far. Are you going with a glass sump?

Tylernt: Thanks for the compliment! I couldn't help myself with the "nano" thing. lol. Actually, the tank will hold around 50-55 gallons I am guessing with the 1/2 inch acrylic.

I am, I just hit up PetsMart and got a 10 Gallon glass tank and put my EuroReef skimmer on one end and QuietOne3000 in the other side. I don't think I'm going to use baffles, the ER skimmer is great for keeping bubbles out. Not to mention any bubbles that did get out of the skimmer would have to move across the tank before they rose 4-5 inches to the surface. I'll just add a float valve at the right level for auto top off. :)

Archived