inTank Media Baskets

Top off instructions

Fishiebusiness

Fishiebusiness

I just recieved a mini float switch from grainger, what do i do now? How should i wire it? Thanks for any help

Fishiebusiness

On closer inspection, i am assuming i splice both ends into one of the cords on a powerhead or an extention cord to which a power head plugged. Is this right?

Smokey Joe

First cut the cord on the pump.  Reattach one of the pump wires with wire nuts and electrical tape.  Connect the other wires to those at the end of the switch.  Mount the pump in your water source with a hose going to the aquarium and mount the switch in the tank so it will turn the pump on at the level you want (when the pump is plugged in of course).

Be very, very, very careful in stripping the wires and in your placement of the cut wires (with nuts and tape)relative to the aquarium.  DO NOT put them in any place water could get on them and if you accidently nick the wire in stripping it don't use it.  You would also be best to seperatly seal off the reattached wires to further prevent tampering.  Not following these really increases your chances of starting a fire or electrocuting yourself.  In other words, don't play around without knowing what you're doing.

I would suggest splicing one side of an extension cord so you have more play for the pump wire and you ruin a $1 extension cord instead of a $20 pump.

Make sure your pump can handle the head pressure before you use it also some pumps do better with continous use rather that intermittant use such as a top system would use. power heads really arent suitable for use here.

With my grainger float switch (verticle mount) I had to build a harness to attach it to the side of the tank. with a Horizontal unit you need to build a cage around the float so snails dont rest there and cause flooding and dilution of your tank. Old school hair rollers (like grandmas) work really well for a snail stopper.

HTH,

Toy

Archived