Top Shelf Aquatics

crazy xenia

mxpro32

just recently the xenia in my five gallon died for appearently no reason.  but now one of the pieces of live rock in my 2 gallon has tiny xenia pulsing on it.  a few weeks ago it wasnt even there. then it started growing and now its big enough to pulse.  this is really strange because that little tank was just set up with live rock and aragonite and water for about a month before i ever added reef lighting or even a heater.  the water level dropped half way a couple of times.  its amazing anything lived in there at all! now i have one 27 w 6500k spiral flourescent bulb and 13 w hello lights actinic over it and a 25w heater.  the xenia is growing really fast.  real strange.

Guest AbSoluTc

Im experiencing the same issue.  For no appereant reason what so ever, I have a some xenia that is just dying.  All the other 20 stalks are just fine.  This one is not.  Dunno.  I even moved to see if that was the issue, it was not.

Nishant3789

Xenia IMO are really susceptable to bactierial infections. this isnt contagius really unless all of your xenia have an open wound. so if those ones that died had recently been cut or fragged then that may be the cause... try adding some iodine, thatll help alot

nishant

i didnt frag it it just died.  my temp never fluctuates from 80.  the weirdest part is the xenia that just appeared on my live rock in my 2 gallon.  it is growing so fast!  and it appeared from nothing.  its even pulsing now.  cool stuff.

quiksilver5768

At the lowest...my tank is at 82. Usually even gets up to 85 sometimes and everything including the xenia is rgrowing and looking good....

i set the 2 gallon up with nothing but live rock and water at first.  i didnt even have a heater or lighting on it yet.  at one time the water had evaporated half way out before i topped it off (there wasnt anything in there so i wasnt worried about killing anything)  then i made a light hood for it and mounted a 27w tcp 6500k screw in light in it (12 bucks) and a 13w actinic from hellolights.  i then added small frags of green star pollyps from my five gallon.  then the xenia just started growing. it started off so small and now it gets bigger everyday.  i might add shrimp to it but mostly just coral frags.  the lighting looks really nice over it.  and appearantly the corals like it too.

Archived