Coral Vue Hydros

Help ID & Get Rid of - Macro Algae sp???

Chirodoc

I have had the hardest time trying to get rid of this stuff. It looks like some kind of macro algae, but I've never seen anything like it before. Does anybody know what this stuff is. It covers everything. Thanks!!

That ain't no macro algae...welcome to the wonderful world of flatworms (red planarians).

There are many posts about their control, so do a search on "flatworms". But in short, your solutions are:

1) 6-line wrasse - 50% chance he'll eat 'em (mine does)

2) Oomed - not sure where you get it (don't think the U.S. sells it), but some swear by it

3) Greenex - be careful with it, use very low doses several times - search reefcentral.com for "greenex" to read about success stories. This was my next solution if my 6-line didn't eat them.

4) Siphon the suckers out w/airline tubing

Those guys really suck, and most reefers get them sooner or later. They multiply like freakin' rats.

The good news - there's no evidence they harm your corals, other than smothering them, robbing them of precious light. Other than that, they're just an eyesore.

Whatever you do, looks like you need to take action fast.

Good luck!

Hmmm, well I'm having a hard time seeing the macro's through all the flatworms or planaria thingies stuck to the glass.... bottom corner right? I think it's bubble algae... but I can see so little maybe it's some of the grape 'lerp.

(Um, other than siphoning them, I mean it off... I've heard six-line wrasses are known to nibble on the um, macro?)

EDIT: Again beaten by the slow typing thing.... I swear I would have answered you more thoroughly/seriously in a follow -up post, really... no I mean it.)

I heard that Velvet Sea Slugs like them. Saw one seem to eat them at the LFS. They got it in just to take care of a massive outbreak, like the one you have. It is just too bad that they don't ship well and they are expensive.

Just grab a neighborhood child and tell him that you have some candycorns for him. He should make haste of them from the looks of 'em.:D Seriously, I would also say go with the greenex, it will do the trick but as mentioned be very careful, I heard it can also damage featherdusters large and small (as would be expected) it is like a pesticide well insecticide really.

"graboids ! we'll call um graboids !"

-Tremmors.

Hey guys, what is this thread all about ?

All I see is Valonia in lower Left corner and a little turf alga and some coraline Algae......

X)

Does that include shipping?

Try hypo(thats UNDER) salinity dips in fresh water. It wacks them instintly. ;)

Oomed also works, but Id be leary about using it. there is a species of sea slug that loves them.... damned if I can find the name now.

Id say the FW dip and then going with a 6-line is yer best bet,

OR.....the advanced DAVE WAY ;)

get a diatom filter and suck them out fer a few days. No way they are going to escape that. Just use the intake end like a vaccum cleaner, and spend a few minutes every hour or so sucking them out whille leaving the diatom running. You dont even need D.Earth Powder in it. The mesh bag with a little carbon powder will do the trick. ;)

Then to rid yerself of them, simply back flush and clean the diatom filter with tap water. KILLZ UM DED d00d !

IKTH.;)

I have one
Laffs - yeah, I started out with one myself. A day later I had three. I thought to myself, "Cool...he split!".

Long story short, three weeks later I had hundreds, and I'm not exagerating. They suck. If you have "one", get him out while you can - he's probably turned into five already.

Archived