Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

uk pico contest thread

manuel

Since i really want to take part in this, i'm trying to stir up a little bit of interest in the UK so we can work together (possibly do a multibuy etc etc).

I'm starting off on the tank. Does anyone know of a 2.5G tank that is for sale in the UK, the nearist i can find is Peak Aquatics 12x8x8 sold in pets at home which is a little bigger than the AGA 2.5.

Anyone know of anything we can do or are we limited to the open cat?

Manuel

i've been looking at shipping but it just get's silly.. whats the shipping on a AGA 2.5 + what are the chances of it arriving?

+ have you seen the pirces of those things...

captainhaddock

Hi Manuel,

I'm in the Uk around London, I recently brought a 2.5 MINI BOw from America, I would be willing to sort out a transport of the tank to you, take about 5-7 days.

When I got mine from the US it took 5 days, the package would have:

1 x heater

1 x 2.5 MINI BOW

2 x 50/50 screw in bulb Coralife 10w or 20w(you need to mod, easy 2 minute)

1 x MINI Aquaclear HOB filter

1 x optional micro jet

1 x optional electronic thermometer

You will need to get a transformer to run US equipment, easy mod I'll give you details.

Contact me if you are interested via post on nanoreef.com or email

Thanks

Captain Haddock

It's a tough one, there's a pet store in my local town which has pico sized tanks, but they seem to be unbranded - just plain lidless glass. I'll have a look next time I'm in to see if I can spy a brand(never really took much notice).

Regarding lighting for the tank in your sig, I know the interpret compact T5 12" 24w lights fit 16" length just right(including socket and cables etc). You could probably get a couple on there. Aquatics-online.co.uk has them, get the interpret controllers and the ASL bulbs to save a bit of money and have a little more choice.

Originally posted by JLB

fras are you running inter pet t5 s at the mo. what do you make of them?

Yes i'm running the interpret, it all runs fine and is decent value for money. The colour when I first plugged them in was gorgeous, but now they're run in the blue on the 50/50 isn't strong enough for my tastes. I got the interpret bulbs so I don't know if the ASL is better (they are cheaper and have more choice though), I'm going to order one and give it a go. I got a parabolic reflector too, I'd highly recommend one.

I have an 8G ish tank, I'm considering trying to get hold of a 70w MH and running the interpret pure actinics. I'll see how it goes.

Hi guys,

Around where I am there's no shortage of 2.5G tanks. They aren't the most well made/beautifully structured tanks but they do the job. You guys should come join nanoreefs.co.uk, we've just started it!

The 2.5Gs can be bought from petsathome and a few other places. Unbranded like you said Fras but serviceable none the less.

I'm also using Interpet PCs, I use 1 white and 1 actinic bulb (LFS was out of 50:50s) and I quite like the colouration (a bit purple sometimes).

Have just had my latest pico shipped from the states (acrylic cylinder). Cost a bit much but was cheaper than getting it done here.

I'm also hoping to have some compact 70W MH reflectors and fittings shipped over in about a months time. You can get IceCap 70W electronic ballasts shipped over here and there's a range of aquamedic 70W DE bulbs they'll take.

HTH

Ed

no worries. I found a good place that sells the refelctors and fittings but they won't ship to the UK. I'm hoping the guys in Ohio who built my new tank will accept delivery and then post them on here. I'll keep you posted.

There isn't a single "best" shop. Some have a wider variety of stock, others have better prices. Also the needs of pico reefs vary pretty much with the design of the individual system itself.

If you're after Pico Lighting though I know Surrey Pet Supplies sells the Interpet PC range (pretty much the best/only pico lighting we can get). They're pretty cheap too.

For livestock Reefworks is your best bet. Lots of small reasonably priced high quality frags. Mainly SPS at the moment but with a constantly changing stock turnover.

HTH

just so you guys know the small tank at petsathome is 12x8x8 so is larger than the pico contest allows. I've talked to my LFS and i'm seeing if they can get hold of anything.

Is anyone other than me going to enter the pico contest?

That sucks, we'd probably have to go custom then :(

I think tankbuilduk.com would do them. An 18x12x12 is only 23 pounds, so I imagine a tiny tiny pico wouldn't cost the earth.

I'm tempted to join but I've literally just built my new setup and although it's a pico it's not quite small enough to count :(

If you still want to have a go and want MH lighting hav a look in the lighting section of nanoreefs.co.uk I'm trying to do a group buy.

HTH

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

I've entered, been building a hood for the lights today. :happy:

I haven't seen your thread yet Manuel, are you still going to join in the pico fun?

Best regards

Ann

• 1 month later...

Urforunatley the world seemed to conspire against me entering.

First my hard drive died and needed replacement and also stopped me from doing any research for a few days.

Then my Grandfather fell Ill and we had to make an emergency 1000 mile journey to spain by car as my sister is 9 months pregnent and can't fly and I lost a week.

We then lost my partners uncle suddenly.

The next day I lost my Grandfather, so another trip to spain (at least by plane this time) to bury him.

Delayed by 16 hours at Barcelona airport due to bad weather. So I spent most of my birthday (and the closing date for the pico contest) in an airport!

On my return got some great presents £65 of LFS vouchers for live rock an RO machine and a hydrometer. perked up my mood a little.

On the day of my partners uncles funeral our boiler broke down (cue 3 days without heating and another £200+ bill)

I swear i still am doing a pico. but i doubt i'll get it going this side of xmas. Even with the cool aquirium gifts i got for my birthday.

I have ordered a tank with my vouchers from my LFS (aquaone 320) with upgraded blue/white bulbs. i might be able to afford to put few lbs of live rock in it. Will beg and plead for a few frags (however small). so watch this space!

at least some things go my way...

My sister has tonight given birth to a baby boy. both mother and baby are doing well...

BTW, would a tank be a good present for a newborn :D

Sorry to hear of all your troubles. :(

But congratulations on becoming an Uncle. :D Good luck to your sister over the next few weeks/months/years, it's sure going to be a hectic Christmas for you all. :lol:

Best regards

Ann

Archived