Top Shelf Aquatics

how many fish can I put in a 30 gal?

devil

how many fish can I put in a 30 gal bowfront FOWLR with a skimmer?

will it help if I add a wetdry filter?

I heard that it is possible to keep 10 fish in such a tank

is it true???

10?  I would say no.  But it really depends on what type of fish that you would want to keep.  You don't want to go adding tangs or angels in any number to that tank, nor do you want to overstock it with damsels.  

I would say 5 at the most, at least until you get a feel for what kind of bio-load that system can handle.

HTH,

Matt

my thought was:

2 clownfishes... maybe of diferent tipes.

2 damsels-or not...

a few gobies

maybe a blenny-or not...

no tangs or triggers or angels!

maybe buterfly fish-or not...

2+2+4+1+1=10....

or 2+2+2=6....

you get the point.

Smokey Joe

The damsels will terrorize every other inhabitant and cause a lot of stress.  I'd stick to 4-5 non-aggressive/territorial fish.

for the most part two different types of clowns will not live together in that size o ftank. a majority of clowns cannot be mixed unless they have large tank systems. but as far as im concerned adding a wet dry would be a good thing and you could get away with maybe 6 friendly fish. forget the damsels unless you are going to do like chromis or something like that. no tangs no triggers maybe a small puffer or something like tha

chromis is my favorite and not the most aggressive...

1 tomato clown and one yellow tail is what I have in my 12 gal for now....

I think they will be the first fishes in the new tank... or not....

BTW no puffers for me!!!

I really do not like the fish (mainly because I belive that every sistem-fw or sw shuld have some snails and lobsters as unreplacable cleanup crew)

wha about buterflyfishes???

any other pretty fish I can put there?

and please don't say apogon-not the prettiest fish ever and not my faworite

maybe gramma or a dotyback possible???

Every time you put more than one of any species they will compete. I wouldn't place more than one Gobie in there. I have 3 small fish in my 35 and I think I'm pushing it alittle, I would rethink your list and scale it down considerably.

HTH,

Toy

quiksilver5768

IMO you could easily get away with 6 fish. And you could probably push it to 7 or 8 if they are all small/decent size fish. You will justy need to deal with the bio-load. A sump and a refugium would help. If your got say a 10 or 20 gal reufigium/sump then you could get away with 7-8 decent size non-aggressive fish.

Toy, your pushin it with 3 on your 35? I have 3 in my 10 for over 8 months and water quality has been perfect...:confused:

Oh yea, I would also do this. Here is what my fish list would be...

2 Percs

3-4 Green Chromis

1 Clown Goby

And MAYBE a hawkfish (Thos guys are so cool! lol)

(Edited by quiksilver5768 at 12:21 am on May 28, 2002)

my thought was:

1 tomato clown from my 12 gal

1 yellow tail damsel also from my 12 gal...

1 goby or blenny or both if possible...

1 royal gramma if possible....

it is something like 16 inches of fish for 30 gal...

maybe less....

if you have 3 fish in a 10 gal

and I 2 in a 12...and I can have more (I have a skimmer in there... but no corals for now...)

why can't I have 5 or 6 in a 30?

I think the 12 is going to be a quarantine tank and invert tank...

wha is a hawkfish and wha do they need?

Smokey Joe

Both damsels and dottybacks will be risky.  Theres a very good chance they'll go after the less aggressive fish in the tank.  I have an orchid dottyback and a false percula in my 20g.  Orchids are known to be the least aggressive dottybacks around and mine still nips at the clownfish fairly frequently.

Quick,

Not really about water quality its about the shape of my Hex. Lots of verticle room but no horizontal room to set up territory.

Toy

Well I think you could hold at least 6 because if it is 40 inches long that is a lot of terirtory.

In my 20long I have 2 percs, 1 spotted hawk, and 1 pearlescale butterfly(recently died but had lived for a good 6 monthes)

I would say you could put in a butterfly but the only thing is they are hard to keep.  A good butterfly would be the hardier four-eyed butterfly .This is what i would put in.

1. 2 percs

2. 1 long-nosed hawkfish

3. 1 goby/blenny

4. 1 bicolor pseudochromis

5. 1 Four-eyed butterfly

For filtration a wet/dry system would be great

hay you are changing my list! I didn't mentioned any perc's or hawks!

I think the buterfly idea isn't a good one so leave Il leave it for now...

my new list of fish:

1 damsel (or not-maybe he will stay in the 12 gal...)

1 tomato clown from my 12 gal...

1 little goby

1 blenny

1 royal gramma (if possible)

1 misc fish-maybe a hawk if I will find one that is pretty enough....

can you suggest some sites in europe that are sending livestock to IL???

well thank's for now...

devil :asthanos:

oh yeah also,

Why would you want a european source for IL? I'm asuming Illinois USA? or you from IL europe wherever that may be?

Just wondering,

Toy

I am from IL and the shipping from usa to us is realy expensive so I asked if you could help me with european sites

about the list... just wanted to check if it's OK :)

Archived