Pod Your Reef

Current USA "Fission" Nanoskimmer

ccjung

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AWESOME! Almost makes me wish I hadn't rushed out and built my own . . . almost.

From my experience with my Protein Skimmer, let me say this - the functionality of these things is tricky. Water levels need to be maintained at an optimal level. 1/2" drop in water level in the chamber can cause mine to stop working at peak performance. It still works, just not at peak.

You also have to remember to empty the skimmate collector regularly - and I would not recommend doing it right after breakfast! The smell of the junk these things pull out will knock you on your butt.

As well, when you go to feed your corals, or are going to stick your arm in the tank to move things around, you need to unplug the skimmer, empty the skimmate collector, and pull the unit partially out of the water. These work on a certain water level. Turning off your pumps to feed corals raises the water level in the back chambers. If the skimmate collector isn't empty, it gets flooded when the water level raises and dumps all of that skimmate back into the water.

Is it a pain to do that - not really it's just another thing you have to keep in mind if you're going to stick your arm in the tank. Like making sure you move your surface skimmer before you turn off the pumps.

Is it worth it - hell yeah! My skimmer has been running non-stop for weeks now. I have not had any problems with my water since I started using mine. It may just be coincidental, but I'm seeing awesome growth out of my corals, and my fish seem a lot more active since I started using this.

I HIGHLY recommend a protein skimmer, just make sure you know what you're getting yourself into, and make sure you know how they work.

Sorry for the lag guys.. I just got back this weekend and I've been trying to catch up.

I saw the "preproduction" version of the skimmer and aquapod at the show, so nothing to report here.

Current is going to be bringing me a production skimmer with elbows, and some canopies from the 12/24g models so we can see what we can do with the lighting.

From the looks of the 12 and 24g. I expect extensive amounts of power. They are also willing to change some of their molds to accomodate some of the most popular mods (fuge light, reflectors, etc).

Things look promising.

Chris

For those of you with a fuge in the back are you getting rid of it for the skimmer space or whats everyones plans? I think the skimmer will be more beneficial but just wanted to know what others are doing...

Jordan

Id put one of my designs up against it any day. If you take my in-sump nano-skimmer and put a hanging clip on the side its pretty much the same thing. I see some flaws in its design...too complicated inside...too much turbulence to get a good dwell time and skim well.

And someone please tell me what about that thing could even be patented? If sticking an airline into a nano-pump like that is patentable, guess what...Ive been sitting on that for a while...lol.

I hope ER has a better solution when it comes out.

Radar: Are you saying you made a skimmer that fits in one of the the back chambers of a Nanocube? I saw your thread on the HOT one, which is cool, have I missed something?

Well, sort of. I never developed that because I dont have a nano-cube and therefore didnt know what dimensions and limitations I was working with...BUT, there are a few threads in the DIY section here where people adapted my design to fit in the back chambers of a NC.

So, no...and yes. My design has a few variants, including HOB, in sump, asperating, injection, and recirculating.

Im not trying to toot my own horn...I just think that the Current design is crappy. Its wasting good contact time by putting the pump underneath like that...the pump should be in an adjoining chamber. Having such a small pump positioned that low also limits its ability to pull in alot of air, or as much if it were closer to the surface. So you end up with more water flow and less bubbles. That means more chambers and baffles on the inside to counteract it. If anyone wants to send me a nano-cube on loan, I would make a custom skimmer for it, removable collection cup and all. The benefit to me would be that I would finally have one to work with and get a final design tweaked just right so I could post design specs in my thread.

I don't have a spare nano to send, but if someone does, I would be happy to bankroll most of the endeavor if you could come up with a reasonably functional protein skimmer that could fit entirely in the back chambers of the Nano Cube 12 Dx, with NO MODS TO THE TANK. The one good thing about this kind of project, as I see it, is that the overall efficiency of the skimmer doesn't need to be super top notch, as you are dealing with a small water volume, and, at least in my case, a tank not pushing any envelopes with regard to bio-load.

UTR

I have stated in many threads that I have been a fan of your work and that your skimmers kick.

I dont recall correctly or not, but I dont know why you didnt go into production with a skimmer to fit the cube. If you did, id bring it aboard and start selling them.

As of right now, current USA has stepped up where Aqua C and others rumored to didnt.

I think the engine is unique. The swirl from a tangential input and and vortex generators increase the path length of the bubbles.

That being said, i think a proper skimmer would have greater height, more up/downwelling time, and better performance.

For the cost of it and the fact that its the only one on the block so far, its a good alternative to DIY.

Once again, UTR I really want you to start marketing your wetworx skimmers.

Chris

Radar, why would you attack a product that you have no knowledge of or tested? You do not have a nanocube as you said and so you do not know the limitations or abilities.

I would be happy to hear a review from you and compare it to your pwn product if you actually tested it out in a nanocube, but until then, all you are doing is trying to push your product. I and others really dont care whether you think that the product will work or not or if your product is better or not. The fact is your skimmer has not yet been design for the NC and you have not tested this skimmer to be able to say whether or not it works.

As for the person asking if the fuge will be removed, I know that I would rater have skimmer than a fuge that size. I do have a fuge over my tank, by with such little surface area, the macro growth really does not keep up with the needs of the tank. So if I had to choose between a small fuge and a skimmer, I would take a skimmer any day. A fuge for me is just to polish the water and remove the reaming phosphates and nitrates. But the bulk of nitrates can be better filtered by a skimmer. Of course my favorite design are ones who incorporate a seperate larger fuge along with a skimmer. You then have the best of both worlds.

"The fact is your skimmer has not yet been design for the NC and you have not tested this skimmer to be able to say whether or not it works."

-jedininja

Sometimes you just have enough hands-on in a subject that you can just look at something and know how it works. And my design has been adapted to the back of a nano-cube on several occasions.

HI..just wanted to add that someone here had made a comment about abandoning a fuge for a skimmer. I'm not so sure that is an equitable trade off. If this is a successful in-chamber skimmer for a NC, I would hope that somehow you could keep the fuge. I've suddenly gotten a large drop in nitrates associated with a doubling in my chaeto in my back fuge. Can I guarantee that is not also good water husbandry..no. But...I'm curious..will fuges be able to stay? UTR..having experience in this area, do you think there will still be room? Will the skimmer intake pull in macro? SH

im sorry but if you can t invest in a hundred dollars to adapt your inovative skimmer to potentially make alot more money than words mean nothing. im sure many would buy your skimmer if you were able to do it. so until you do, if you can,current usas effort in there skimmer for the cost seems pretty good.

im sure if chris is asking you to push out a product than it must have potential but like i said before. until you do , if you can, adapt your thoughts to the nc. it means nothing.

chris has offered a platform for you to mass market this "skimmer" so prove us wrong and lets see your skimmer out proform current usas model. ill be one of the first to buy if this becomes reality.

SH -

I dumped my Fuge Light when I built and installed my Protein Skimmer. I put the LR Rubble in Chamber 1 under a sponge, just ditched the light. The skimmer seems to be doing all the work in my system, and I love it.

Cheers -

sNEIRBO

Originally posted by Undertheradar

"The fact is your skimmer has not yet been design for the NC and you have not tested this skimmer to be able to say whether or not it works."

-jedininja

Sometimes you just have enough hands-on in a subject that you can just look at something and know how it works.  And my design has been adapted to the back of a nano-cube on several occasions.

I adapted UTR's skimmer design to fit in Bay 2 of my 24g (that's 768 gill. makes it sound soo much bigger!) and it worked pretty darn good. Had to pull it when I put in the Pico pump for my chiller. Right now, I'm working on an air-driven version.

As to how well the Fusion skimmer works? Well once a few get into tanks we will all know. Either it will work good or it won't. One thing I know with this group though, someone is going to start moding the thing! :D

I agree Don. I didnt say radar's skimmer wont work, but you cant go trashing something that you have never tried. Just because in theory to you it doesnt sound like it is going to work does not mean a thing. So there's absolutely no reason to bash the product until you tried it or it has at least been tested by many others.

Steel, if it were possible to keep the fuge and the skimmer, that would be the best thing. But if I had to choose between a tiny fuge and a skimmer, I would rather go with the skimmer.

Undertheradar

embryoguy,

Were you talking to me about the skimmer being adapted and making money? Just so you know, I dropped the patent and havent made a dime off of the design.

RayWhisperer

I think it's time I put my $.02 in. I diy'd a skimmer from Undertheradar's venturi injection design ( a few mods to fit in the 2nd chamber) It works fantastic. I'm working on a taller version now and hope for better results. My 12 is down now so I made a small box to fit under the skimmer for height and it now runs on my 24 with an octopus and still does the job. So my proposal is I'd be happy to lend you my 12 under. I'm a flatlander (F.I.S.H./F.I.B.) haha. Any way I'm not too far so no shipping. Only problem the light dont work anymore so proper testing as far as skimming from an operational tank would need to be done elsewere. You can pm. me if your interested.

Archived